GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
As a division of General Electric Company,GE Transportationis a global technology leader and supplier to the railroad, mining, marine, stationary power, and drilling industries. We drive change and progress - by rail and across oceans. We go farther and dig deeper, with advanced technology that connects people, data and machines, so resources can be gathered, goods can be transported and economies can thrive. GE Transportation is headquartered in Chicago, IL, and employs approximately 12,000 employees worldwide. Learn more about GE Transportation today!
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is anEqual Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Posted Position Title
Sr Systems Administration Engineer
Location(s) Where Opening Is Available United States
U.S. State, China or Canada Provinces
In this role, you will be responsible for resolving rare incidents, fulfilling complicated requests, and implementing wide sweeping changes. You will utilize extensive scripting expertise to dramatically increase productivity in resolving incidents, fulfilling requests, and implementing changes across all compute infrastructure. You will work independently and contribute to the immediate team and to other teams across the business.
In addition, you will:
* Provide technical leadership and operational support for planned releases, incidents, and issue resolution
* Provide impact assessment and mitigation plan for changes going into the production environment
* Drive continuous improvement of computer operational activities to maximize efficiency
* Develop automated solutions to address potential problems before they result in a service interruption
* Develop automated solutions to eliminate common or repetitive tasks
* Leverage monitoring tools to resolve problems and identify systematic issues with the design and architecture of affected system(s)
* Assist with development of availability measures that align with consumer experience to accurately assess the usability of crucial services
* Possess extensive experience and demonstrated mastery with multiple scripting languages
* Possess strong analytical and problem solving skills
* Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
* Minimum of 5 years of experience with current information technology and its influence on business functions
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
* In-Depth experience managing and supporting IBM Power systems hardware and OS
* In-Depth experience managing IBM Hardware Management Consoles
* In-Depth knowledge involving the application of program temporary fixes, HMC and FSP updates
* In-Depth knowledge of IBM Power system backups utilizing BRMS
* In-Depth Knowledge of IBM Power System disaster recovery, data replication processes utilizing Help Systems Vision Solutions OMS / ODS application or similar
* Experience with 5250 emulation packages such as IBM I Access, IBM I Access Client Solutions, NewLook, Mochasoft, etc.
* Hands-on experience with infrastructure monitoring and other administrative tools such as Halcyon
* Problem solver with strong critical thinking and decision-making ability
* Excellent client management, negotiation, and business leadership communication skills
* Team-building and hands-on leadership style
* Ability to operate in a fast paced global environment with urgency, ownership, and accountability
* Flexibility and ability to execute multiple priority duties
A little about us:
GE imagination at work.