Office Product Group Research and Design has an immediate opening for a Senior Visual Designer on the Skype Consumer team in our Redmond studio. Skype keeps the world talking. It is for doing things together, whenever you’re apart. Skype’s text, voice and video make it simple to share experiences with the people that matter to you, wherever they are. We are obsessive about design, design-driven product development, and rapid-cycle innovation. If you enjoy a variety of ambitious and original challenges, Skype is for you. Bring an awesome portfolio with you to inspire us. We will inspire and drive your career growth as well!
Primary responsibilities include:
• Know our customer
• Have a growth mindset, in your work and interactions with colleagues
• Be inherently inclusive in your design processes and interactions with colleagues
• Have and apply deep understanding of fundamental visual design disciplines (typography, iconography, composition, color, composition, layout, etc.)
• Have strong visual sensibilities, ability to use visual thinking, storyboards, sketching, and communication design to create breakthrough experiences
• Facilitate design brainstorming and work sessions ? Work with user researchers to coordinate testing efforts, interpret test results, and incorporate results into design efforts
• Have strong skills creating a variety of visual design documents including mood boards, storyboards, creative briefs, motion studies, and visual style guidelines
• Effectively communicate with stakeholders, including your management team through implementation phase to design intent
• Demonstrate your design concepts through collaboration and prototyping
• Follow-through: keep watch of shipped product and iterate for improvements and customer delight
Qualified candidates should have:
• 5+ years’ of product design experience including visual design and appreciation for user research, and usability testing
• Strong collaboration skills
• Strong communication and presentation skills
• Strong organizational skills, including being detail oriented
• Passion about the craft of product design
• Ability to think conceptually about design
• Strong skills for creating a variety of design documents including user scenarios, task flows, conceptual models, annotated wireframes, mood boards, storyboards, creative briefs, visual style guidelines competitor analysis, and heuristic analysis
• Command of the latest tools for the craft - expertise in Sketch is a must (our needs with Adobe suite are reduced); experience with other tools ranging from HTML/CSS to Proto.IO/Framer, Invision boards and other tools that communicates your ideas well, and provides required assets to your workgroup colleagues.
• Experience in utilizing a variety of both qualitative and quantitative research including ethnographic research, contextual inquiries, guided explorations, and usability testing
• Exposure and understanding of variety of design, project management, and development processes and methodologies
• Experience shipping innovative and complex mobile, web or software products within milestone deadlines
• Experience partnering with multi-discipline design teams in shipping compelling user experiences
• A product design related BA/BS degree is strongly preferred Portfolio review is required.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.