Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you'll find yourself in the company of some of the industry's smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
Staff Attorney II
The Staff Attorney II provides advice, guidance and support for the negotiation and processing of corporate transactions. The successful candidate will serve on Discover's enterprise-wide transactional law team, providing counsel, project leadership, guidance and support for the negotiation and processing of corporate transactions. The attorney in this position will:
- Serve as a negotiator for contracts for various Discover business units;
- Review, draft and negotiate a variety of contracts;
- Collaborate with internal business clients, business partners, business unit management, and subject matter experts (SMEs), to assist in identification, documentation, and approval of specific contract requirements and provisions, the completion of transactions;
- Identify, communicate and escalate (as appropriate) contract issues and deviations from established contract guidelines;
- Work closely with internal business partners and consult when necessary with internal SMEs to apply and communicate Discover contract policies, processes and procedures when negotiating and executing contracts; and
- Be responsible for the use of the Discover contract management repository for purposes of managing workflow, tracking contracts, providing metrics and retaining accurate contract records.
Skills Skills Required:
Required Education and Experience:
- The attorney must be able to identify legal issues and risk and understand their impact to Discover. The attorney will work with leadership from various business units.
- The attorney must possess excellent presentation, communication, and leadership skills. The ability to perform in a complex cross-functional business environment is required. Finally, the attorney must have a global perspective of the general business environment and technology.
- The attorney will be expected to promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
- JD and law license;
- 5+ years legal transactional experience in a law firm or corporate legal department
- Strong project management experience
- Knowledge of the financial services, or another highly-regulated industry
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
A little about us:
Discover is one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. We’re a direct banking and payment services company built on a legacy of innovation and customer service.