What you’ll be doing...
Verizon Wireless is looking for a Staff Counsel to provide legal support to the Southeast Market (8 states in the Southeast United States plus the District of Colubmia) Network organization on real estate, zoning, land use and planning matters. The Staff Counsel will handle substantial responsibilities under supervision of the Market General Counsel. The position is responsible for providing prompt, accurate and creative legal support that is vital to the success of key wireless deployment projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advise, guide and represent Verizon Wireless in obtaining land use and zoning approvals for deployment of wireless facilities throughout local municipalities in the Market.
- Manage zoning and land use appeals/litigation in coordination with outside counsel.
- Effectively represent Verizon Wireless and advocate for its interests before city councils, county boards, state planning commissions and other local administrative bodies.
- Analyze the use and regulation of public and private rights-of-way and work with local municipalities to achieve changes in local zoning code to support our deployment strategy.
- Engage with external and internal stakeholders to foster broad community support for new wireless facilities.
- Negotiate and mitigate risk in common telecommunications siting agreements, including site lease agreements, license agreements, collocation agreements, ground leases, conditions of approval, and right of entry agreements.
- Communicate effectively and coordinate closely with multiple internal stakeholders to ensure concerted activity to support strategy.
- Continuous process improvement to streamline internal and external processes and increase effectiveness.
- Provide assistance to Market Network leadership and client groups to resolve legal issues.
- Strategic projects and any other tasks or responsibilities assigned by the Market General Counsel.
- Must be willing to travel.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- JD degree and six or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Licenses: Active and in good standing with and admission to the Georgia bar or eligible for single-client Georgia in-house licensure.
- Legal practice experience.
- Experience in real estate, zoning or land use matters.
Even better if you have:
- JD degree from a top tier law school with excellent academic performance.
- Six or more years of recent and relevant legal practice experience in a similar work environment (i.e., law firm or corporate legal department), including 3 or more years of experience in real estate, zoning or land use matters.
- Wireless industry experience preferred.
- In-house experience a plus.
- Exceptionally strong written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to professionally manage time, prioritize multiple responsibilities, and process high volume of work in a timely and accurate manner with a high level of attention to detail.
- Proven ability to work independently and autonomously, as well as part of a team.
- Proven ability to spot problems, and develop and lead implementation of appropriate solutions.
- Ability to deal with all levels of personnel, assess and analyze situations and determine appropriate action.
- Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook); Lexis/Nexis experience.
- Extremely strong project management skills with proven track record of managing complex projects from inception to completion.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Highly developed analytical reasoning, attention to detail and applied learning skills.
- Self-starter with the ability to make independent decisions and the judgment to know when to seek guidance.
- Ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities and process high volumes of work in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstratd ability to handle extremely sensitive and confidnetial information
When you join Verizon...
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
A little about us:
Verizon is one of the largest communication technology companies in the world.