DePuy Synthes is recruiting for a Staff Materials Engineer - Raw Materials, located in Monument, CO.
DePuy Synthes is a Johnson & Johnson company that is one of the leaders in the medical device industry. Our implants and instruments are used by orthopaedic surgeons to treat patients with conditions resulting from traumatic injuries, degenerative diseases, deformities, and sports related injuries. Our environment is entrepreneurial, learning-driven, and is as challenging as it is rewarding.
DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is the largest, most innovative and comprehensive orthopaedic and neurological business in the world. DePuy Synthes Companies will offer an unparalleled breadth and depth of products, services and programs in the areas of joint reconstruction, trauma, spine, sports medicine, neurological, craniomaxillofacial, power tools and biomaterials. Building on the legacy and strengths of two great companies, we are creating one organization that will be agile and better equipped in today's evolving health care environment. With a focus on activating insights to develop innovative, comprehensive solutions, we are inspired to advance patient care in greater ways than either company could accomplish on its own.
The Staff Materials Engineer will take a lead role in project delivery of Raw Materials related projects as part of the Worldwide Materials and surface technology team. This individual will be responsible for leading and delivering projects as part of strategic technology virtual teams (BarStock).
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Apply Engineering and Materials knowledge to relevant manufacturing processes both external and internal to optimize end to end manufacturing process.
- Collaborate with Source, Procurement, Research & Development, Engineering and Operations functions to identify and lead materials related engineering projects ensuring optimum manufacturing process in terms of Quality, Service and Cost of Goods Sold (COGS).
- Own projects in the Materials Engineering area for Metals (Bar-Stock).
- Participate in the development of long-term strategies for materials related technologies
- Conduct detailed product / process design reviews
- Identification, valuation, planning, organizing, execution, and coordination of quality, delivery and value improvement projects at key, strategic metals suppliers.
- Implement cost effective manufacturing solutions to drive end to end manufacturing efficiencies in partnership with Source and strategic suppliers.
- Conduct feasibility studies to assess new technologies or process improvements.
- Implement design for manufacturability in new processes to minimize lifecycle cost.
- Apply appropriate statistical and validation techniques based on overall risk.
- Project management responsibility for Material Development projects.
- Support root cause analysis activities related to material processes.
- Provide timely and accurate reporting on project activities.
- Ensure all activities comply with Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP), ISO and Quality System requirements.
- Ensure that all health, safety and environmental requirements are fulfilled.
Participate in collaborations with R&D and academic institutions
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) for Materials related manufacturing process (Metals/Bar-Stock).
- Develop advanced materials related manufacturing processes from end to end within the supply chain, including raw materials, process design and optimization.
- Support the development of capital business cases for new process development projects
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Materials Science or a related technical discipline is required.
- Master’s degree or Ph.D. Material Sciences or similar is preferred.
- A minimum of 6 years of Engineering experience is required
- The ability to collaborate with all levels of management in a cross-functional team environment is required.
- Project management experience is required.
- Strong knowledge of Materials manufacturing processes (Metals/Bar-Stock) is required.
- Medical Device Company or highly regulated industry experience is preferred.
- Experience working with suppliers is preferred.
- Knowledge of Material characterization - advanced analytical techniques is preferred.
- Experience with Surface Science characterization (XRD, SEM, EDX, etc.) is preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) is required.
- Process Excellence/Six Sigma (Green or Black Belt) Certification is preferred.
- Must have strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must have strong statistical and problem-solving skills.
- This position is located in Monument, CO and requires up to 10% domestic and international travel.
DePuySynthes Products Inc (6149)Job Function
Engineering (Generalist)Requisition ID