At Arconic, our goal is to be the best company in the world! Arconic serves the aerospace, automotive, packaging, building and construction, commercial transportation, and industrial markets. We bring design, engineering, production, and other capabilities of Arconic's businesses as a single source solution for our customers. This position is within Arconic's Global Rolled Products (GRP) Business Unit. GRP's mission is to be the world's leading aluminum producer with the widest variety of coil, sheet and plate products in the world. To achieve this goal, Davenport Works' manufacturing processes need to be technologically sustainable, cost effective, and able to grow and be continually improved as demonstrated with over $500 million invested in the last five years. Since it opened in 1948, Arconic's Davenport, Iowa aluminum facility has been at the forefront of American manufacturing. Nestled on the banks of the Mississippi River in Iowa, the plant employs more than 2,000 people and is a focal point of the global aluminum industry. Engineering's principle challenge is to provide safe, reliable, maintainable and capable equipment and processes to meet these goals.
The Mechanical Engineer is responsible (both individually and in teams) for the electrical engineering of one or more pieces of equipment and/or facilities within Davenport Works. Arconic Engineers have the responsibility for coordinating and implementing Lean Manufacturing principles across material flow paths, and thus must gain a complete view and understanding of the manufacturing process to be successful. The Mechanical Engineer's assignment will focus in one or both of two principal areas: 1) Design, installation and commissioning of new and revised equipment. 2) Mechanical engineering and process improvement support in assigned areas of the production facility.
- Participate in all and manage some aspects of engineering project work, including investigation, specification, design, funding, procurement, installation, commission, tune up, documentation, maintenance training, and startup
- Estimate and manage capital investments associated with project work, including funding request preparation and expenditure projection, tracking and reporting
- Support capital improvement and continuous improvement projects
- Provide support in the identification of problems, problem solving to root, implementation of corrective measures
- Oversee the activities of skilled craft persons involved in the implementation of engineered solutions
- Initiate and maintain an ongoing dialogue with installers and maintainers to identify issues, clarify requirements, and facilitate use of safe work practices
- Manage external vendors who provide design, material, installation and other support functions
- Work primarily daytime shifts M-F, yet is expected to work off-shifts as needed to support the functions of this role
- B.S. Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience of Mechanical Engineer experience.
- 5 years of Mechanical Engineering experience
- Metals or similar industry and/or rolling manufacturing experience
- Technical knowledge to support the installation, operation, and repair of hydraulic, pneumatic, and other dynamic mechanical technology
- Technical skills and desire to use problem solving skills to achieve improvements or correct identified problems
- Good oral and written communications skills and ability to function as a member of or lead team or group activities
- Flexibility to grow with the organization as it evolves to create more efficient, higher functioning teams and systems
- Work effectively in a high performance, cross functional team environment
A little about us:
Arconic Inc. (NYSE: ARNC) creates breakthrough products that shape industries. Working in close partnership with our customers, we solve complex engineering challenges to transform the way we fly, drive, build and power. Through the ingenuity of our people and cutting-edge advanced manufacturing, we deliver these products at a quality and efficiency that ensures customer success and shareholder value.