The Staff Scientist develops and performs independent and creative biophysics research, with a focus on applying state-of-the-art protein and ligand NMR spectroscopy technology to drug discovery projects. The Staff Scientist will use their skills to help advance small molecule and antibody-based programs from hit identification and characterization into preclinical development. ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Qualifications EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Manages the design, development, and implementation of NMR technologies to support drug discovery projects and characterizes small molecule and antibody interactions with potential drug targets
- Proactively identifies opportunities for NMR technology to impact small molecule and antibody projects.
- Leads the identification and utilization of current and emerging NMR technologies, whether performed internally or accessed via outside collaborators to impact projects.
- Identifies opportunities to collaborate with partners (academic, biotech and CRO) to enhance in-house capabilities. Leads and manages external collaborations effectively.
- Participates on cross-functional teams and provides technical leadership in the areas of NMR and biophysics.
- Effectively presents data to other scientific staff or cross-functional project team; may present data/posters to external research or scientific community
- Ph.D. or equivalent with Post Doc in Biophysics or a related discipline with 0-3 years of relevant experience in a research and/or development environment, or
- MS degree with at least 10 years of Biophysics experience, or
- BS degree with at least 12 years of Biophysics experience, and a demonstrated working knowledge of Biophysics scientific principles, or equivalent
- Strong track record of delivery of NMR based solutions to drug discovery teams as evidenced by quality and quantity of publications/presentations/inventions.
- Experience with ligand and protein based NMR techniques, including 1D and 2D methods to assign protein sequences used in structure determination and to determine backbone and side-chain dynamics of proteins.
- Experience with binding site mapping, fragment screening, using STD, waterLogsy, 15N-HSQC and other techniques.
- Experience with preparation of singly-labeled 15N and doubly-labeled 15N, 13C protein.
- Positive can-do attitude with strong collaboration skills and ability to work with drug discovery scientists.
- Highly motivated and flexible with ability to work in fast-paced environment. Ability to provide novel creative solutions to challenging problems. Desire to learn and tackle new challenges and initiatives.
- Demonstrated interest in applying biophysical solutions in fragment based drug discovery.
- Professionally represents the organization in collaborations, partnership discussions, and external relationships and conferences
- Demonstrated experience with biophysical techniques including, TSA, SPR, ITC, DLS, and fluorescence spectroscopy.
- Use hands on a regular basis to handle small laboratory equipment, including multi-channel pipettors, for liquid transfers to and from 96- and 384-well plastic assay plates
- Able to lift or move up to 10 pounds on a regular basis in the course of daily work
- Exposure to hazardous/toxic/dangerous chemicals
- Less than or equal to 10% travel, consisting of one to two relevant scientific meeting and/or trips to NMR collaborators and CROs
we are driven to improve people's lives www.takedajobs.com Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please. Schedule
A little about us:
Takeda fosters an inclusive environment where all employees are empowered, supported and inspired to use their unique talents toward our mission to serve patients.