Ethicon, a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is currently recruiting for a Staff
Scientist R&D, to be located in Somerville, New Jersey.
Ethicon business offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies-including sutures,
topical skin adhesives, hemostasis products, surgical staplers, trocars, energy devices and synthetic mesh devices-that are used in a wide variety of open and
minimally invasive surgical procedures. Specialties include support for treatment of colorectal and
thoracic conditions, women's health conditions, hernias, cancer and obesity. The Ethicon business combines products and services of two market leading legacy companies, both with long histories of medical innovation. Ethicon, Inc. based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as
a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the
effectiveness of surgery.
Global Surgery Innovation organization supports all business technologies under Global Surgery, including Wound Closure/Hernia/Gynecare, Endomechanical, Biosurgery, Energy, Acclarent, Mentor, Cardio Vascular, BWI and Sterilmed. Global Surgery Innovation functions include Business Unit R&D, Regulatory, and Clinical and
Staff Scientist, R&D will:
- Lead cross-functional
/ multidisciplinary project teams in the design, development, and manufacturing
of topical skin adhesive (TSA) based products and other novel medical devices for
wound closure applications, and also be able to function as a team member as
- Play a hands-on role in conducting laboratory based
development activities, analyze and interpret performance and analytical data
to guide product and process optimization, document research activities in
accordance with design control requirements and conduct all required research
activities associated with development of superior topical skin adhesive
apply their state-of-the-art scientific technical acumen and technical
leadership capabilities to conduct research toward the development of new
products in the TSA category, as well as supporting and improving existing
- Interact directly with surgeon customers and other stakeholders
to determine unmet needs, and also with leadership teams (R&D, business
boards) to gain authorization for projects.
their knowledge of customer needs and market opportunities to help guide the
portfolio of TSA offerings.
- Contribute inventions, new designs, new processes and techniques to solve
technical problems based on customer needs.
- Be a creative, hands-on engineer needed to design and
develop new medical devices from concept through product launch and be
capable to handle multiple projects and tasks simultaneously.
- Incorporate manufacturability into
new product development and to partner
with manufacturing in the scale-up R&D concepts and processes to full production scale.
- Interact with
outside vendors and
academia to bring state-of-the-art technologies, techniques, processes, and equipment in-house for new product development.
- Provide technical support to Manufacturing and Marketing.
- Collaborate within cross-functional/multidisciplinary teams, such as Clinical, Regulatory, Quality, Manufacturing etc. to ensure activities toward new product development or existing product/process changes result in reliable devices to fulfill clinical needs within regulatory requirements.
- A BS degree in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Biomedical Engineering, Polymer Science & Engineering. An advanced degree (M.S. or Ph.D.) is preferred.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of experience in an industrial environment (through internships or full time position) as a technical contributor with a
B.S. degree OR six (6) years of
industrial experience with a M.S. degree OR three (3) years of industrial experience with a Ph.D. degree is required.
- Knowledge of and experience in applying scientific principles, analytical techniques and
judgment to independently resolve technical issues and establish new methods, controls & procedures is required.
- Adept, hands-on experimentalist with
experience in chemical/polymeric
formulation development at the laboratory scale, process scale up and development of launch of products is highly
desirable with preferred areas of expertise to include adhesives, sealants, and coatings.
- Knowledge of polymer physics, with demonstrated understanding of material characterization, structure-property relationships, formulation development and processing and utilization towards application development is preferred. Specific
experience in the development of TSA products is highly desirable.
- Broad knowledge of medical device product development and
working knowledge of polymeric materials and their application in medical
devices, including familiarity with regulations and requirements for the development of implantable medical devices is preferred.
problem solving skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and
the ability to listen, learn, teach, and think strategically are traits that
are required for long term success in this role.
ability to foster a productive team-oriented environment, handle multiple
assignments, and display flexibility in response to an environment with rapidly
shifting priorities is strongly desired.
- This position is based in Somerville (NJ), and requires up to 15% travel
United States-New Jersey-SomervilleOrganization
Ethicon Inc. (6045)Job Function