GE Oil & Gas
Oil & Gas Digital
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is anEqual Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Posted Position Title
Staff Software Engineer
Location(s) Where Opening Is Available United States
U.S. State, China or Canada Provinces
You will be responsible for designing and programming a small module or a large component and designing a feature, set of features, or whole feature area. She/he will work independently and contribute to the immediate team and to other teams across business. She/he will Lead design discussion in a limited manner.
In this role, you will:
* Capture system level requirements by brainstorming with Sr. Architects, Data Scientists, Businesses & Product Managers
* Identify the scope of the work, provide initial estimate and justify the estimate with facts
* Demonstrate the understanding of Agile software development lifecycle and able to distinguish the core inputs and outputs in each cycle.
* Engage in technical discussions; participate in technical designs and present technical ideas through white boarding
* Work closely with your peers and keep engaging in a fast pace technical design and development team
* Execute in a fast pace delivery mode and focus in delivering tasks to meet the product release goal
* Maintain code quality through best practices, unit testing and code quality automation
* Seek and provide feedback on design and development
* Demonstrate the ability to make informed technology choices after due diligence and impact assessment
* Understand whole product, its modules and the interrelationship between them while being an expert in the assigned component or module
* Help in designing interfaces and information exchange between modules
* Possess advanced domain knowledge and show great customer focus. Expert in processes / methodologies and Skilled in build, release & deployment processes
* Articulate the need for scalability and understand the importance of improving quality through testing.
* Be an expert in writing code that meets standards and delivers the desired functionality using the technology selected for the project
* Drive design reviews, define interfaces between code modules, and applies existing technology to designs
* Be an expert in assessing application performance and optimizing/improving it through design and best coding practices
* Be an expert in core data structures as well as algorithms and has the ability to implement them using language of choice
* Be responsible for providing technical leadership and defining, developing, and evolving software in a fast paced and agile development environment using the latest software development technologies and infrastructure
* Provide guidance to a team of 5 to 7 developers with either planning and execution and/or design architecture using agile methodologies such as SCRUM
* Work with Product Line Leaders (PLLs) to understand product requirements & vision
* Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or in "STEM" Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
* A minimum of 8 years of professional experience in Software Development OR Master's degree with 6 years of experience in Software Development
* Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job.
* Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen
* Must be willing to travel roughly 10% of the time.
* Must be willing to work out of an office located in San Ramon, CA.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
* Experience building software using C#, .Net 3.5 and above, Visual Studio, WPF, WCF, LINQ skills and TFS
• Required language skills include C#, VB.NET. Good SQL
* General understanding of web application landscape, architectures, trends, and emerging technologies
* Experience with cloud platforms such as Azure and AWS is a big plus.
* Strong knowledge of Object Oriented Analysis and Design, Software Design Patterns and Java coding principle
* Experience using backend technologies such as Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL
* Strong knowledge in core data structures, algorithms and design patterns
* Experience developing applications using reactive frameworks like node.js, Spring Boot, Play or a solid experience building applications on top of RESTful APIs and micro services
* Experience in cloud computing, distributed systems, object oriented design, relational and NoSQL databases, REST APIs, asynchronous programming, and micro-services architecture.
* Strong understanding and experience in agile methodologies such as Extreme Programming, Scrum, Kanban, BDD/TDD, pair programing, continuous integration/delivery. Working Knowledge with Automation Testing tools
* Experience as a team leader
* A good understanding of high-performance and scalable Enterprise systems.
* Demonstrated aptitude for problem solving.
* Ability to effectively communicate technical concepts to team lead and other team members.
* Ability to effectively document specifications.
* Experience working with Meridium APM is a big plus!!
* Strong problem solving abilities and capable of articulating specific technical topics or assignments
* Experience in building scalable and highly available distributed systems
* Expert in breaking down problems and estimate time for development tasks
* Evangelizes how our technology solves customer problems from a technology and business perspective
* Demonstrates clarity of thinking to work through limited information and vague problem definitions
* Influences through others; builds direct and "behind the scenes" support for ideas
* Proactively identifies and removes project obstacles or barriers on behalf of the team
* Shares knowledge, power, and credit, establishing trust, credibility, and goodwill
* Able to work under minimal supervision
* Excellent communication skills and the ability to interface with senior leadership with confidence and clarity
* Able to work well with global teams, including time-zone flexibility
* Skilled in providing oversight and mentoring team members.
* Shows ability to effectively delegate work
A little about us:
GE imagination at work.