Power Information Technology
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE Power is a world leader in power generation with deep domain expertise that helps customers deliver electricity from a wide spectrum of fuel sources. We are transforming the electricity industry with the digital power plant, the world's largest & most efficient gas turbine, full balance of plant solutions and our data-leveraging software. Our innovative technologies and digital offerings help make power and water more affordable, reliable, accessible and sustainable.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is anEqual Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Posted Position Title
Staff Software Engineer
Applications and Software
Location(s) Where Opening Is Available United States
U.S. State, China or Canada Provinces
Gas Power Systems is an $8B business within GE Power that sells and constructs power plants around the world. With key locations in Schenectady NY, Baden Switzerland, Belfort France and Greenville SC, our IT team tightly partners with our functional business counterparts representing sourcing, project management, finance, logistics, engineering and site commissioning and construction.
The Gas Power Systems (GPS) Staff Software Engineer/Documentum will be responsible for new development along with maintenance and break fixes, designing, developing, documenting, testing and debugging new and existing document management system capabilities.
You will be responsible for designing and programming a small module or a large component and designing a feature, set of features, or whole feature area. She/he will work independently and contribute to the immediate team and to other teams across business. She/he will Lead design discussion in a limited manner.
The Staff Software Engineer will:
* Capture system level requirements by brainstorming with Sr. Architects, Data Scientists, Businesses & Product Managers
* Identify the scope of the work, provide initial estimate and justify the estimate with facts
* Demonstrate the understanding of Agile software development lifecycle and able to distinguish the core inputs and outputs in each cycle
* Engage in technical discussions; participate in technical designs and present technical ideas through white boarding
* Work closely with your peers and keep engaging in a fast pace technical design and development team
* Execute in a fast pace delivery mode and focus in delivering tasks to meet the product release goal
* Maintain code quality through best practices, unit testing and code quality automation
• Seek and provide feedback on design and development
* Demonstrate the ability to make informed technology choices after due diligence and impact assessment
* Understand whole product, its modules and the interrelationship between them while being an expert in the assigned component or module
* Help in designing interfaces and information exchange between modules
* Possess advanced domain knowledge and show great customer focus. Expert in processes / methodologies and Skilled in build, release & deployment processes
* Articulate the need for scalability and understand the importance of improving quality through testing
* Be an expert in writing code that meets standards and delivers the desired functionality using the technology selected for the project
* Drive design reviews, define interfaces between code modules, and applies existing technology to designs
* Be an expert in assessing application performance and optimizing/improving it through design and best coding practices
* Be an expert in core data structures as well as algorithms and has the ability to implement them using language of choice
* Be responsible for providing technical leadership and defining, developing, and evolving software in a fast paced and agile development environment using the latest software development technologies and infrastructure
* Provide guidance to a team of 5 to 7 developers with either planning and execution and/or design architecture using agile methodologies such as SCRUM
* Work with Product Line Leaders (PLLs) to understand product requirements & vision
* Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or in "STEM" Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
* A minimum of 2 years of professional experience in (EMC Documentum products including Documentum Content Server (6.7-7.2), Webtop, and ACS (Accelerated Content Services)
* A minimum of 2 years of professional experience with RDBMS (e.g. Oracle) and writing/optimizing SQL queries
* 2+ years hands-on experience with the following technologies: XML/XSLT, REST/Web Services, Java, JDBC, JSP and Java scripts
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
* Experience building Java applications using Documentum Foundation Classes (DFC)
* Experience writing/optimizing queries in Documentum Query Language (DQL)
* Familiarity with Documentum's object model and underlying database structure
* Experience developing applications using Java technologies including: Web Services, JMS/MDB's, Servlets/JSP, Security, Transactions
* Experience writing Documentum API scripts
* Knowledge and experience in deployments, migrations, and upgrades of content management solutions
* Good working knowledge with Application Servers such as Apache Tomcat Web Server
* Able to identify risks and mitigation
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Strong, demonstrated commitment to customer satisfaction
* Comfortable working in a matrix environment Technical Expertise:
* Strong knowledge of Object Oriented Analysis and Design, Software Design Patterns and Java coding principles
* (If there is Back-End) Hands-on experience in web services (REST, SOAP, WSDL etc.), using Apache Commons Suite & Maven, SQL Database such as Oracle MySQL, PostgreSQL etc.
* (If there is Back-End) Hands-on experience in utilizing Spring Framework (Core, MVC, Integration and Data)
* (If there is Back-End) Experience with Big Data / Hadoop and NoSQL Database is a big plus
* (If there is Front-End) Hands-on experience with web development using HTML5, Java Script, jQuery, CSS. Also, experience in implementing Java OSGi modules and using an OSGi container.
* Experience with Play framework, Angular is a big plusBusiness Acumen:
* Strong problem solving abilities and capable of articulating specific technical topics or assignments
* Experience in building scalable and highly available distributed systems
* Expert in breaking down problems and estimate time for development tasks
* Evangelizes how our technology solves customer problems from a technology and business perspective
* Demonstrates clarity of thinking to work through limited information and vague problem definitions
* Influences through others; builds direct and "behind the scenes" support for ideas
* Proactively identifies and removes project obstacles or barriers on behalf of the team
* Shares knowledge, power, and credit, establishing trust, credibility, and goodwill
* Able to work under minimal supervision
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to interface with senior leadership with confidence and clarity
* Able to work well with global teams, including time-zone flexibility
* Skilled in providing oversight and mentoring team members. Shows ability to effectively delegate work.
A little about us:
GE imagination at work.