Senior Staff Technical Writer
Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we're committed to our work, customers, having fun and most meaningfully to each other's success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey!
About the Role:
We are looking for a brilliant (but fearless) technical writer to join the Splunk docs team. Your system administration and or business intelligence background will enable you to work in close partnership with engineering and technical support to create and maintain our online user documentation, in-product user assistance, and key internal documentation. You will thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic environment where a sharp sense of humor is basic currency. Our customer documentation is edited live in a custom MediaWiki instance and continuously updated with improvements and new features.
To succeed in this role, you are a confident generalist who is eager to learn about varied technical areas. You will document new technology both broadly and deeply to ensure the success of your product development team and its customers. In the hiring process, be prepared to tell stories that demonstrate how you learn about new technologies, apply that learning on the job, and make an impact outside and inside your company.
- Write technical documentation for users of Splunk software, including customers who deploy enterprise software, administer on-premises and SaaS enterprise software environments, manage business knowledge, and build business intelligence reports.
- Write instructional and reference documentation for developers who want to extend and customize the functionality of Splunk software.
- Follow an established writing style guide and work with an editor to refine and improve documentation deliverables.
- Eagerly become a Splunk software expert, ready to discuss technical details with developers, system administrators, testers, and customers daily.
- Conspire with software developers, architects, and product managers to develop engaging content that helps users make good decisions about how to use Splunk technology to gain business insights.
- Participate in multiple product development teams, prioritizing your work on what delivers the highest benefit to our customers.
- 3+ years of documenting software products for system administrators, business analysts, and developers, including procedures, process documentation, and architecture descriptions.
- Experience developing content in a wiki environment.
- You have a consistent record of researching and writing excellent documentation and examples for enterprise software products.
- Genuine desire to learn challenging technical concepts and thrive in an environment of rapid change.
- Ability to strike a balance between "right" and "right now" in your output.
- Aptitude for cultivating a reciprocal, energetic, positive working environment that values creativity and innovation.
- Willingness to occasionally travel to other Splunk offices to interview subject matter experts.
BA BS degree in Computer Science, Technical Communication, English, a related technical discipline, or meaningful professional experience.
Splunk is an Equal Opportunity Company
Splunk was founded to pursue a disruptive new vision: make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. Machine data is one of the fastest growing and most complex areas of big data-generated by every component of IT infrastructures, applications, mobile phone location data, website clickstreams, social data, sensors, RFID and much more.
Splunk is focused specifically on the challenges and opportunity of taking massive amounts of machine data, and providing powerful insights from that data. IT insights. Security insights. Business insights. It's what we call Operational Intelligence.
Since shipping its software in 2006, Splunk now has over 13,000 customers in more than 110 countries around the world. These organizations are using Splunk to harness the power of their machine data to deepen business and customer understanding, mitigate cybersecurity risk, prevent fraud, improve service performance and reduce costs. Innovation is in our DNA - from technology to the way we do business. Splunk is the platform for Operational Intelligence!
Splunk has more than 2,700 global employees, with headquarters in San Francisco, an office in San Jose, CA and regional headquarters in London and Hong Kong.
We've built a phenomenal foundation for success with a proven leadership team, highly passionate employees and unique patented software. We invite you to help us continue our drive to define a new industry and become part of an innovative, and disruptive software company.
Benefits & Perks: Wow! This is really cool!
Medical, full company paid Dental, Vision and Life Insurance, Flexible Spending and Dependent Care Accounts, Commuter Accounts, Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP), 401(k), 3 weeks of PTO, sick leave, stocked micro kitchens in Splunk offices, catered lunches on Mondays, catered breakfast on Fridays, basketball hoops, ping pong, arcade games, BBQ's, soccer, "Fun Fridays".
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Medical, full company paid Dental, Vision and Life Insurance, Flexible Spending and Dependent Care Accounts, Commuter Accounts, Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP), 401(k), 3 weeks of PTO and sick leave. Our work environments vary by location however we believe in hosting amenities and fun activities to fuel our energy. You may find fully stocked micro kitchens, catered lunches on Mondays and breakfast on Fridays, basketball hoops, ping pong, arcade games, BBQ's, soccer and "Fun Fridays".
This isn't a job - it's a life changer - are you ready?
Individuals seeking employment at Splunk are considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. Click here to review the US Department of Labor's EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk's Affirmative Action Policy Statement.
Splunk does not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Please click here to review Splunk's Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk's website should send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.
To check on your application click here.