Air Products and Chemicals, Inc., a Fortune 500 manufacturer of industrial gases, has an immediate opening for a Strategic Sourcing Specialist
at our Corporate Headquarters in Allentown, PA.POSITION SUMMARY
Create the vision and develop global sourcing strategies for control systems, instrumentation and analyzer systems for Air Products' capital projects. Develop, negotiate, implement and maintain competitively advantageous supply strategies and supply arrangement to enable world class execution. NATURE AND SCOPE
The global strategic sourcing team is primarily responsible for all strategic sourcing activities for Capital Equipment for new plants built by Air Products worldwide. As such, Strategic Sourcing Specialists are responsible for developing, negotiating, implementing and maintaining competitively advantageous supply strategies and supply arrangements to improve Air Products' competitiveness and enable world-class projects execution.
This position is responsible for implementing new approaches and strategies to improve our product offering and project execution costs. To effect this, the incumbent must develop an intimate knowledge of Air Products' offering and related equipment and technologies. He/she will be expected to challenge technical specifications, commercial practices, operating practices and business processes with a focus on driving cost reduction initiatives. Strong sourcing, organizational, written, and negotiating skills are required.
The candidate must possess both excellent analytical and leadership skills. He/she will need to have the knowledge, experience, and ability to employ the appropriate influence strategies with engineering teams, sourcing teams, and business stakeholders to meet established goals and objectives. Ability to effectively communicate technical and non-technical information, across cultures and organizations is a key success factor.
The individual will be required to have intimate knowledge of supply markets of the assigned categories. This position supports new supplier development and, supplier relationship management to ensure alignment with business and product strategies. The incumbent will interface at senior management levels within the suppliers' organizations to represent Air Products' interests.
The individual will be responsible for conducting sourcing events and managing contracts for his/her area of responsibility. He/she will have full knowledge of implementing The Air Products Way including all e-enabled technologies. The individual will also, on an as-needed basis, provide additional execution support with project execution or our operating plants and facilities around the world.
Global travel (Americas, Europe, China) may be required for this position. Short business trips of 1-2 weeks periodically throughout the year. Overall travel is expected to be 20% or less. As this role supports products and opportunities globally, meetings outside of local working hours are to be expected.PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Embody the 4S culture of Safety, Speed, Simplicity and Self-Confidence
- Work with Global Product teams (engineering, technology, commercial Product Management), supported business and functional organization to achieve goals.
- Develop strategies and lead the commercial contracting negotiations for assigned equipment categories consistent with business requirements.
- Develop supply base intelligence strategies to ensure Air Products benefits from latest supply offering
- Bring innovative supplier solutions to maximize value proposition for products and bid opportunities.
- Effectively utilize e-Sourcing tools to launch inquiries and receive supplier quotations/proposals.
- Develop efficient bid tabulations and lead sourcing reviews with cross functional teams
- Develop and negotiate global supply, price or side agreements to support Air Products competitive offering.
- Monitor, communicate, and respond to changing market conditions and business drivers to maximize leverage and minimize risk.
- Lead cross-functional teams involved in supplier discovery.
- Identify, develop and manage suppliers; understand safety, commercial and capacity risks.
- Manage supplier relationships and maintain interface at senior level within suppliers' organizations.
- Act as an escalation point for supplier interface for project execution issues when relevant
- Effectively participate in Continuous Improvement activities.
- Strong influencing, communication and facilitative skills, including cross cultures and geographies,
- Ability to bring teams together to achieve targets and goals
- Ability to work cross functionally within Air Products Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate (written and verbal) technical and non-technical information, internally and externally.
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent negotiation and contracting skills
- Strong understanding of macro-economic factors
- Financial and Business acumen
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent knowledge and proficiency with the Microsoft office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, One Note) and collaborative tools.
- Good Knowledge of SAP and requisition to pay processes
- BS in supply chain, Engineering or business area. MBA degree is a plus.
- 10 years of work experience in an industrial environment, preferably with 5 of those years involving sourcing or engineering experience related to the categories,
- Thorough understanding of Air Products offering and markets.
- Thorough understanding of assigned categories and related market
- Thorough understanding and prior experience in contracts and contractual language.
- Excellent oral and written English proficiency is a must. Second language is a plus
Air Products (NYSE:APD) is a world-leading Industrial Gases company in operation for over 75 years. The Company's core industrial gases business provides atmospheric and process gases and related equipment to manufacturing markets, including refining and petrochemical, metals, electronics, and food and beverage. Air Products is also the world's leading supplier of liquefied natural gas process technology and equipment. The Company had fiscal 2017 sales of $8.2 billion from continuing operations in 50 countries and has a current market capitalization of approximately $30 billion. Approximately 15,000 passionate, talented and committed employees from a diversity of backgrounds are driven by Air Products' higher purpose to create innovative solutions that benefit the environment, enhance sustainability and address the challenges facing customers, communities and the world. To apply for this position, please visit the Air Products Career Center. Click on Search job openings. You can apply specifically to Job Req #21676BR.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those applicants who are being considered for an interview will be contacted.
Air Products is an Equal Opportunity Employer (U.S.) All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, citizenship, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or veteran status.
Opportunities for veterans with experience in instrument, electrical, and mechanical environments.