Air Products and Chemicals, Inc. a Fortune 500 manufacturer of industrial gases, has an immediate opening for a Construction Sourcing Manager at our Corporate Headquarters in Allentown, Pennsylvania.
Develop, negotiate, implement and maintain competitively advantageous sourcing strategies and EPC (Engineering, Procurement and Construction) & construction services arrangement to enable world class execution for the construction of industrial gas plants. The ideal candidate should have a demonstrated record of leadership, contract writing, influencing skills, financial and business acumen, and excellent organization and time management skills.
The Global construction subcontracts sourcing team is primarily responsible for all strategic sourcing activities for construction for new plants built by Air Products worldwide. As such, the Construction Sourcing Manager is responsible for developing, negotiating, implementing and maintaining competitively advantageous strategies and contract arrangements to improve Air Products' competitiveness and enable world-class projects execution.
This position is responsible for implementing new approaches and strategies to improve our product offering and project execution costs.
He/she will be expected to understand and challenge technical specifications, commercial practices, operating practices and business processes with a focus on driving cost reduction initiatives. He/she will understand and promote current best-in-class sourcing strategies and methodologies across the industry.
The candidate must possess both excellent analytical and leadership skills. He/she will need to have the knowledge, experience, and ability to influence strategies with engineering teams, sourcing teams, and business stakeholders to meet established goals and objectives. Ability to effectively communicate technical and non-technical information, across organizations is a key success factor.
The individual will be required to have, EPC and other construction contracting techniques and primarily responsible for preparing, modifying and leading commercial negotiations for EPC, EPCM and other construction contracting methods for the heavy industrial type construction projects. Individual is expected to bring substantial expertise on EPC Contract risks and risk management to the position, functions independently as a primary commercial advisor for proposal and project teams for all types the contracting models.
This position supports new contractor development and, contractor relationship management to ensure alignment with business and product strategies. The incumbent will interface at senior management levels within the contractors' organizations to represent Air Products' interests.
The individual will be responsible for conducting sourcing events and managing contracts for his/her area of responsibility and on as-need basis provide support with project execution for facilities around the world.
Global travel (Americas, Middle East, Europe, China) may be required for this position. Short & long business trips of 2 weeks periodically throughout the year. Overall travel is expected to be above 50% and outside of local working hours are to be expected.
- Embody the 4S culture of Safety, Speed, Simplicity and Self-Confidence
- Work with Global Product teams (engineering, technology, commercial Product Management), supported business and functional organization to achieve goals.
- Develop strategies and lead the commercial contracting negotiations for engineering and construction services aligning to project requirements.
- Identify and qualify new engineering firms & contractors meeting Air Products requirements
- Develop base intelligence strategies to ensure Air Products benefits from previous projects.
- Bring innovative solutions to maximize value proposition for products and bid opportunities.
- Effectively utilize e-Sourcing tools to launch inquiries and receive quotations/proposals.
- Develop efficient bid tabulations and lead sourcing reviews with cross functional teams
- Develop and negotiate frame work agreements to support Air Products competitive offering.
- Monitor, communicate, and respond to changing market conditions and business drivers to maximize leverage and minimize risk.
- Identify, develop and manage contractors; understand safety, commercial and capacity risks.
- Manage contractor relationships and maintain interface at senior level within contractors' organizations.
- Act as an escalation point for contractor interface for project execution issues when relevant.
- Strong influencing, communication and facilitative skills, including cross cultures and geographies,
- Ability to bring teams together to achieve targets and goals
- Ability to work cross functionally within Air Products
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate (written and verbal) technical and non-technical information, internally and externally
- Excellent contract writing and negotiation skills
- Strong understanding of macro-economic factors
- Financial and Business acumen
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent knowledge and proficiency with the Microsoft office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, One Note) and collaborative tools.
- Good Knowledge of SAP and requisition to pay processes
- BS in engineering or business. Masters of Business Administration degree is a plus.
- 12 years of work experience in heavy industrial environment, preferably 7 of those years involving EPC & construction contracting experience.
- Thorough understanding of Air Products offering and markets.
- Thorough understanding of assigned categories and related market.
- Thorough understanding and prior experience in EPC contractual language.
- Excellent oral and written English proficiency is a must. Second language is a plus.
Opportunities for veterans with experience in instrument, electrical, and mechanical environments.