Shire is the leading global biotechnology company focused on serving people with rare diseases and other highly specialized conditions. We have best-in-class products available in more than 100 countries across core therapeutic areas including Hematology, Immunology, Neuroscience, Lysosomal Storage Disorders, Gastrointestinal / Internal Medicine / Endocrine and Hereditary Angioedema; a growing franchise in Oncology; and an emerging, innovative pipeline in Ophthalmics.
Our employees come to work every day with a shared mission: to develop and deliver breakthrough therapies for the hundreds of millions of people in the world affected by rare diseases and other high-need conditions, and who lack effective therapies to live their lives to the fullest.
The Central Utilities Engineering Supervisor will oversee utilities operations at the Covington Facility. This includes day-to-day utilities operation support; preventive and corrective maintenance, shutdown scheduling and vendor management. This position will support reliability centered maintenance and TPM for all utility systems, including OEE and other reliability metrics. The Supervisor is responsible for oversight of operational, maintenance and troubleshooting support for facility utilities, HVAC and process area improvements through strict adherence to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and cGMP's in a Pharmaceutical Manufacturing facility.
The Central Utilities Engineering Supervisor will direct the day to day activities of Utilities Engineering Technicians. The Central Utilities Engineering Supervisor will also be on-call at all times to respond to plant-wide emergencies and manufacturing needs.
1. Organize, review and schedule daily utilities operation work.
2. Maintain daily communication with production counterparts to ensure needs are met.
3. Efficiently coordinate the workflow and documentation of Urgent/Process Critical Alarms.
4. Must be familiar with plant and divisional SOPs as related to positional and department responsibilities.
5. Review procedures and update them as necessary.
6. Ensure a safe work environment is maintained through adherence to safety guidelines and policies.
7. Must follow safety rules and ensure compliance with GA state and federal EPA regulation and laws. Specific responsible system repairs, upkeep, maintenance and operations managed within regulating agencies such as OSHA.
8. Continuously stay current with assigned SOPs and keep an up to date training file ensuring compliance with all applicable Standard Operating Procedures.
9. Ensure all mandatory training requirements are met, including annual EHS training, GMP refresher training and any applicable training requirements.
10. Maintain an on-going two-way performance dialogue with Manager and meet timelines for completing all mid and year-end reviews and development plans for self and direct reports.
11. Demonstrate continuous progress with respect to increasing job knowledge and proficiency in technical understanding/problem solving.
12. Maintain a positive, professional and customer oriented attitude. Communicate any concerns related to safe work practices, hostile work environment, sexual harassment or any other type of employee misconduct directly to the supervisor, manager or human resources.
13. Schedules utilities down times to minimize disruption of services. Interfaces with service contractors and vendors.
14. May perform other duties as assigned.
• Excellent technical troubleshooting/problem solving skills are a must. Must be knowledgeable with respect to the operation and maintenance of various utility systems including WFI, RO, clean steam, plant steam, compressed air, chillers, boilers and wastewater.
• Possess very strong verbal and written communication skills, documentation practices (cGDPs), be self-motivated and possess strong interpersonal skills. Have a thorough knowledge of utility equipment, equipment manuals, specifications, standard operating procedures, and be able to use proper judgment when taking corrective actions during equipment malfunction.
• Supervises employees; plans and assigns work and oversees and/or coordinates employee's daily activities. Conduct performance evaluations, keep track of operators training requirements and ensure proper employees documentation.
• Possess strong mechanical knowledge and skills on utility equipment.
• Display a positive, professional and customer oriented attitude.
• Must have the following personal attributes: Integrity and trust, work ethic, sound judgment, intellectual honesty, pragmatism, courage and conviction.
• Must have computer skills (Word, Excel, BAS, and PCS).
• Must have passion to innovate and drive for solutions.
• Must display personal accountability for results and integrity.
• Must display eagerness to learn and continuously improve.
• Must have uncompromising dedication to quality.
• Must have respect for individuals and the diverse contributions of all.
A degree in Engineering (preferred) or equivalent work experience with continuing education in a utilities maintenance environment is required.
•May work in a cold, wet environment.
•May be exposed to sunlight and heat.
•May be exposed to dust, gases, and fumes.
•May be around moving equipment and machinery.
•May climb up and into large processing tanks for cleaning or inspection.
•May be working in a loud area that requires hearing protection and other protective equipment to be worn.
•May work around chemicals such as alcohol, acids, buffers and celite that may require respiratory protection.
•May be required to work or be assigned to a different shift as needed.
•Must be able to work more than 8 hours a day or 40 hours a workweek as required.
•This position requires shift, weekend and holiday work.
•Overtime may be required at times.
•May be required to work in a confined area as defined by the Environmental, Health, & Safety office
•Possible exposure to cool/hot storage conditions.
Requires performing activities within the utilities equipment, mechanical work and computer based activities.
•May be required to lift up to 50 pounds when managing chemicals.
• May be required to balance when performing jobs on top of the tanks and use of hardness to ensure safety is required whenever necessary.
•May be required to crawl occasionally to visually inspect equipment.
•May be required to grip and grasp frequently when performing mechanical jobs.
•May be required to kneel occasionally to visually inspect an equipment.
•May be required to stand frequently when evaluating equipments.
•May be required to walk frequently through utilities systems.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire is an equal opportunity employer. Shire evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the law - Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy
Shire is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-595-8400 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
A little about us:
At Shire, we help people with rare diseases and specialized conditions live their lives to the fullest.