Support Escalation Engineer – Azure Technical Support
Location: Irving, Texas
Posted: November 13, 2017
Reference ID: 1079538
Azure Support is a strategic unit of Cloud and Engineering Technical Support in CSS responsible for the following:
- The definition and implementation of the support services required to win in the cloud market place.
- Resolving customer issues including complex technical scenarios integrating several cloud capabilities (Microsoft Azure, IaaS, SQL Azure, AppFabric, etc.) and scenarios supporting the service such as service availability, Connectivity, quality, outage management, degradation of performance, correlation of usage and charges, and cost efficient solution architecture.
- Provide critical product feedback to multiple C&E PGs (engineering and operations) and BGs
Lead the integration of CSS talent to resolve issues with specific technologies (networking, SQL, SPP, etc.) as part of Azure Support ecosystem.
- Need to be part of the evolution of Azure and cloud support services, to be constantly challenged as the Platform expands to provide broader capabilities to customers, support customers using a service rather than on premise Microsoft products, and to work in collaboration with multiple Microsoft teams inside of CSS and the PG (Operations, C+E BGs and PGs, commerce Compute and Storage engineering teams, etc.)
The Support Escalation Engineer (SEE) is a critical role in the resolution of highly complex, technical, and escalated support incidents related to supporting customer development and deployments on the Azure Platform. The Azure SEE provides business critical support to Azure customers around the world through various support offerings. A Support Escalation Engineer is a SME in Azure IaaS services, technologies, offerings, and customer deployment.
The successful candidate has the drive and intellectual horsepower to resolve the most difficult technical customer issues, often through collaboration with other technical specializations; will be a technical resource for the team regarding case reviews, troubleshooting, and effective customer interaction; develop and publish content for customer self-help; will work in close collaboration with the Product Groups and Operations teams; and will interface with various levels of management within customers, Partners, and Microsoft.
- Specific measurements include achieving the CPE team goals, time to resolution or escalation, enabling a response time like competitors; maintaining technical skills through completion of ongoing readiness and Azure IaaS VM training; and, in general participating in the creation of future Microsoft support capabilities for the cloud.
- Identify and implement learnings from service investigations to improve Azure platform architecture, drive continuous improvement in the Azure platform by incorporating feedback from internal/external customers
- Develop tools, scripts to automate troubleshooting activities
- Provide customer escalation analysis and leveraging data to drive further improvements in the platform, tooling improvements
- Identify and drive requirements for increased customer self-supportability
- Identify and drive implementation of customer centric mitigation levers and playbooks for Operations
Qualifications: Soft Skills:
• Leadership - handle technically challenging and politically hot customer situations, including the appropriate use of all available resources, communicate effectively with Support teams and development on complex technical issues
• Strong communications skills - Excellent spoken and written English communication skills
• Effective, polished interaction with customer to gather information quickly; explain customer responsibilities in resolving issue; communicate next steps and status; and inspire confidence Demonstrable troubleshooting skills
• Cross-team collaboration
• Logical and Critical thinking
• Coaching and mentoring Escalation Engineers and others on the team
• Passion for technology and customer support
• Understanding of cloud vs. on premise computing.
• Knowledge in Microsoft Azure Platform architecture and its components (Fabric, Compute, Storage)
• Windows System Administration/Virtualization, Networking, Relational Database Design/Administration, Linux OSS Administration/ Networking, Development/Coding
• Familiarity with Active Directory, Security, OS Internals concepts
• Understanding of Virtualization concepts and virtual system administration
• Experience with Hyper-V configuration and administration
• Familiarity with networking concepts including NAT, DNS, TCP
• Familiarity with networking tools (ping, tracert, tracemon, wire shark, etc.)
• Understanding of load balancing, geo-redundancy, CDN and VPN technologies preferred
• Understanding of the OSI model and related concepts
• Familiarity with Relational databases
• Familiarity with development: tools, language, process, methods, troubleshooting
• Familiarity with Web and Application servers IIS, Apache, Tomcat, JBoss, WebSphere.
• Experience with Linux/Unix OSS
• Familiarity with one, or more, shell environments (PowerShell , BASH, sh, tcsh, ksh, etc.)
• Experience administering Linux (boot process, file systems, network device and protocol configuration)
• Familiarity with Containers
• Service engineering and/or DevOps experience at internet scale involving user data and/or software development for an enterprise level product
• Bachelors or foreign equivalent degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Information Systems, or a related field and 4 years of technical customer support experience in delivering design, planning, and implementation services that provide IT solutions to customers (or Master’s or foreign equivalent degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Information Systems, or a related field and 2 years of technical customer support experience)
• Education or experience in: Agile Methodologies; Azure IaaS and/or PaaS; Monitoring Tools; Scripting; SQL and/or T-SQL; End-to-end service design; and Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.