The Operations Shift Supervisor leads/directs the Operations Shift Team, whose primary objective is to deliver safe, environmentally sound and optimum operation of their assigned process units. The Shift Supervisor is accountable for and continually focuses on the development of the unit personnel's ability to safely operate and efficiently utilize process equipment, anticipate operational problems in advance, troubleshoot and respond to problems quickly. Key accountabilities
- Provides supervision and performance management to the Operators on their shift
- Identifies improvement opportunities and may lead implementation of solutions
- Delivers the unit/refinery operations plan and the items assigned within the shift plan
- Ensures equipment for maintenance is properly prepared
- Ensures constraints are proactively managed and the desired results are delivered on a daily basis
- Ensures product quality issues are adequately managed and communicated to downstream units
- Identifies maintenance needs and initiation appropriate work requests
- Leads quality start/end of shift crew meetings, log book entries, shift relief and shift plan
- Ensures all compliance activities for that shift are completed
- Ensures unit and personnel (BP and contractors) safety on their shift and the safe execution of all maintenance work
Essential experience and job requirements
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Associate degree in a technical area a plus
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
- Minimum of 5 years of front line operations experience in refining or petrochemical industry
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.Desirable criteria & qualifications
Leadership and Personnel Development
- Accountable for the supervision, and performance management of the operators on their shift.
- Jointly Accountable with the Operations Specialist for compliance and developmental training of the complex operators.
- Responsible for administration of annual performance reviews with OS's, and maintaining the personnel file for every member of their crew.
- Responsible for training/mentoring of the operators (procedure reviews, safe off reviews, audit rounds, etc.), and providing constructive feedback in a timely fashion.
- Responsible for ensuring crew members communicate and work effectively as a team and with personnel from other areas/functions within the refinery.
- Responsible for communicating relative performance, business information, and goals to the operating crew.
Safety and Compliance
- Accountable for unit and personnel (BP and contractors) safety on their shift.
- Accountable for ensuring that significant safety, environmental and operational issues recognized are and either mitigated by the shift team personnel, or to request assistance as appropriate.
- Accountable for the completion of Essential tasks and compliance rounds scheduled for their shift.
- Accountable for use and management/retention (sign off, file) of operating procedures used on their shift and accountable for managing operating procedure deviations encountered during their shift where the deviation H&S evaluation requires Shift Supervisor approval to proceed.
- Responsible for completing gun drills per direction of Superintendent.
- Responsible for notifications and follow up (WIR generation, Level 1 investigation, gathering time sensitive information for Level 2 and 3 incidents) on personnel/process safety incidents and alarm management requirements.
- Responsible for driving the culture of continuous improvement in the areas of personnel/process safety, environmental performance, and housekeeping.
- Responsible for listening to the concerns of their crew members and following up appropriately.
- Responsible for completing HSSE related audits as assigned by the Superintendent.
- Responsible for ensuring that COW is being executed per policy.
- Assists in updating and improving unit operating and emergency procedures as necessary/requested.
Unit Operations and Maintenance
- Accountable for delivering the unit/refinery operations plan, and the items assigned within the shift plan (equipment prep for maintenance, etc.).
- Accountable for ensuring constraints (operating envelopes, environmental constraints, product quality, optimization/efficiency variables, etc) are proactively managed by the shift team and the desired results are delivered on a daily basis.
- Accountable for ensuring that product quality issues are adequately managed and communicated to downstream units.
- Accountable for identifying maintenance needs and initiation appropriate work requests.
- Accountable for maintaining quality start/end of shift crew meetings, quality log book entries, quality shift relief, and updating the shift plan for their and subsequent shifts as necessary.
- Responsible for ensuring operators complete shift objectives (rounds/readings, maintenance and CoW preparation, winterization activities, etc.).
- Responsible for reviewing and approving rounds completed within their shift, and ensuring appropriate follow up was taken where gaps/issues were discovered.
- Responsible for managing Operator scheduling, ATAR's, vacancy management, and overtime
NegotiableIs this a part time position?
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future
The BP Whiting Refinery is located on the south-western shore of Lake Michigan and the Indiana Harbor Ship Canal in the communities of Whiting, East Chicago and Hammond, Indiana. Whiting Refinery is the second largest refinery in the BP refining system, and the 6th largest refinery in the United States. Operations began in 1889, prior to the advent of the automobile.
Today, BP is investing several billion dollars in Northwest Indiana to modernize its Whiting Refinery for the processing of heavier crudes. The modernization is essential to the long-term viability of the refinery, and includes well over a billion dollars in environmental improvements. BP Whiting Refinery employs thousands of full-time employees and contractors. The Whiting Refinery Modernization Project is employing thousands of additional contractors. The modernization project will provide for greater energy security in the Midwest, as conventional supplies of the lighter crudes diminish, and are replaced by heavier crudes.
As we progress with the project, the health, safety and security of our employees, and of those who come into contact with our operations and products, remains our highest priority. Our policy is that no job is worth doing, unless it is done safely, while protecting our shared natural environment.Segment
[ "25-Sep-2017" ]
A little about us:
One of the world's leading international oil & gas companies, BP employs over 80,000 talented minds in 80 countries, fostering innovation & diversity.