St. David's North Austin Medical Center is part of St. David's HealthCare , one of the largest health systems in Texas, which was recognized with a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award in 2014. The 378-bed multi-specialty, acute care facility is dedicated to the highest level of women's health services, including maternity and newborn care with Level I, II and III nurseries at the adjacent St. David's Women's Center of Texas . The facility also features a 24-hour emergency department, the Texas Institute for Robotic Surgery , the Bariatric Center, heart and vascular center, neurology and neurosurgery, a kidney transplant program, inpatient and outpatient surgery, and acute inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation, among many others. St. David's North Austin Medical Center is also home to St. David's Children's Hospital . In 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2016, the hospital earned a national distinction for patient safety from The Leapfrog Group . POSITION DESCRIPTION
The surgical technician assists in the cleaning and preparation of the operating room suite according to the Hospital standards and policies. Participates in the care and cleaning of OR equipment. The surgical technician performs in a sterile field and assists the surgeon by providing instrumentation appropriate for the task. Participates in providing patient specific care standards as directed, and follows service excellence standards to ensure high levels of patient satisfaction. ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Qualifications: EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE Required:
- Complies with hospital/departmental policies and procedures, i.e., attendance, mandatory education, safety, infection control, etc.
- Performs patient care within the scope of training of the OR technician and under the direction of the RN.
- Respects patient's rights by maintaining patient privacy, dignity, and confidentiality.
- Applies knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span to identify patient and family requirements relative to age-specific needs.
- Prepares for each procedure and/or surgery.
- Can organize work and utilize time efficiently. Has knowledge of a safe transfer of the surgical patient.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the step-by-step positioning of the patient on the OR table.
- Maintains a clean OR suite for the surgical patients.
- Maintains a safe environment for the surgical patients by checking the conditions and cleanliness of equipment before procedure.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of the specific uses of all equipment and supplies used for all cases.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating manuals, and maintenance manuals
- Performs intra-operative management of assigned procedures.
- Initiates and maintains a sterile field throughout surgical procedures by adhering to the principles of asepsis.
- Assists in preparation and draping of patient and operative site.
- Anticipates needs of surgeon.
- Assists the circulating nurse in maintaining correct needle, sponge, and instrument counts.
- Appropriately handles all specimens.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and correct procedure in managing patient with system specific procedures.
- Assumes responsibility for supply and equipment management appropriate to position and in compliance to department standard.
- Determines priority in equipment needs and ensures availability.
- Assists in maintenance of instruments and equipment by proper utilization, cleaning, care and sterilization.
- Removes and reports all damaged or unsafe equipment.
- Maintains use and cleanliness of autoclaves, includes logs.
- Assists with post procedure workload.
- Assists with OR sanitation.
- Employee's conduct must reflect the Company's values and a commitment to the Code of Conduct ethics and compliance program.
- Employee reflects SDH Service Excellence standards in every interaction.
Graduation from a surgical tech program or related experience in the field. Certification as a Surgical Tech (CST). Minimum of 1 year of experience as a Surgical Tech. LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES Required:
If working prior to September 1, 2009 in a Surgical Technologist title, employee does not need to hold a current CST License; If employee graduates after Sept 1, 2009 must hold and maintain a current certification as a Surgical Technologist within 180 days from the date of graduation. The certification must be from: 1.The National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting or its successor; 2.The National Center for Competency Testing or its successor; 3.Another surgical technology certification program approved by the department; BCLS Certification Preferred:
ACLS Certification REPORTING RELATIONSHIP Reports to:
Manager of Surgery
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom