St. David's Medical Center is part of St. David's HealthCare, one of the largest health systems in Texas, which was recognized in 2014 with a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award . Founded in 1924, St. David's Medical Center is a full-service medical center offering comprehensive medical care at three locations-St. David's Medical Center, Heart Hospital of Austin and St. David's Georgetown Hospital . Located in central Austin, St. David's Medical Center includes a 350-bed acute care hospital and a 64- bed rehabilitation hospital providing comprehensive inpatient and outpatient care. It is home to the internationally renowned Texas Cardiac Arrhythmia Institute and St. David's Neuroscience & Spine Institute . The hospital provides a complete range of women's services, including its acclaimed maternity unit, maternal-fetal medicine, a high-risk maternal and neonatal transport team, the region's largest and most sophisticated Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and The Breast Center ; complex surgical services; a comprehensive Bariatric Surgery Center ; and a 24-hour emergency department. POSITION DESCRIPTION
The surgical technologist functions under the direction of the Registered Nurse and Physician to facilitate the safe and effective completion of invasive surgical procedures. The surgical technologist possesses knowledge of aseptic technique, human anatomy, surgical procedures, and current technology used to facilitate a physician's performance of invasive therapeutic and diagnostic procedures. Direct and indirect patient care activities include the following type of functions: clinical, clerical, materials management, and housekeeping. The surgical technologist trains and precepts less experienced surgical tech staff in the preparation of the more complex and difficult cases. They serve as a preceptor for surgical technology students and RN interns in multiples specialties and as a resource person for all specialties. The surgical technologist teaches and directs less experienced surgical staff in room preparation and turnover. The technologist participates in unit activities.Qualifications: EDUCATION REQUIRED
- Graduate of an accredited Surgical Technologist School
- Hospital conducted on the job training with proof of program content and completion.
LICENSES / CERTIFICATIONS REQUIRED
- A minimum of three (3) years recent experience as a Surgical Technologist with demonstrated competency in multiple inpatient surgical specialties.
- Expertise in General, GYN, Orthopedic, Neuro, and CV.
- Current certification as BLS Healthcare Provider
- Current certification as a Surgical Technologist (if work experience as surgical tech prior to 9/1/09, employee need not have national surg tech certification (grandfathered); if hired after September 1, 2009 per Texas Board; must have certification within 180 days of graduation); minimum of 3 years recent experience waived if certified.