Managing Counsel (Wealth)
Company: TD Bank
Location: New York, New York
Posted: January 18, 2017
Reference ID: 58644303
About TD Bank, America's Most Convenient Bank®
TD Bank, America's Most Convenient Bank, is one of the 10 largest banks in the U.S., providing more than 8 million customers with a full range of retail, small business and commercial banking products and services at approximately 1,300 convenient locations throughout the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Metro D.C., the Carolinas and Florida. In addition, TD Bank and its subsidiaries offer customized private banking and wealth management services through TD Wealth®, and vehicle financing and dealer commercial services through TD Auto Finance. TD Bank is headquartered in Cherry Hill, N.J. To learn more, visit www.tdbank.com. Find TD Bank on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TDBank and on Twitter at www.twitter.com/TDBank_US .
TD Bank, America's Most Convenient Bank, is a member of TD Bank Group and a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank of Toronto, Canada, a top 10 financial services company in North America. The Toronto-Dominion Bank trades on the New York and Toronto stock exchanges under the ticker symbol "TD". To learn more, visit www.td.com . Department Overview The Legal Department of TD Bank, N.A. is comprised of lawyers and support staff with expertise tailored to deliver integrated legal solutions to our global and local business units and corporate functions. We are committed to delivering the highest level of expertise, service, responsiveness and flexibility to our clients by:
• Understanding our clients' business, legal and regulatory requirements;
• Anticipating emerging issues and providing flexible responses based on experience; and
• Providing advice that protects the Bank's reputation and mitigates legal risk. Job Description Work with the US Wealth businesses, which include broker-dealer and investment advisory services, private banking and lending, investment management, personal trust and corporate trust (the "US Wealth Business") to provide best in class recommendations and support as the US Wealth team grows its business. Areas of focus include business development, customer matters, employee matters, operational and risk issues, new products, regulatory developments, strategic initiatives, and sales practices. Job Requirements •Act as strategic advisor to the US Wealth Business to help achieve its business goals while identifying and managing legal and other risk issues.
•Provide legal expertise regarding broker-dealer, investment advisory and trust legal issues, including transactional guidance, new product rollouts, regulatory inquiries and customer complaints.
•Expertise and knowledge of ERISA, including application of the DOL fiduciary rule preferred.
•Coordinate with internal and external litigation colleagues to manage client complaints, litigations, and regulatory inquiries.
•Monitor and advise the US Wealth Business about regulatory developments and recommend business-practical solutions.
•Manage corporate governance matters for TD Private Client Wealth LLC and TD Wealth Management Services, Inc.
•Build and maintain effective working relationships with internal stakeholder groups, including other areas of Legal, Compliance, AML and Risk, as well as external industry groups, such as SIFMA and the ABA.
•Partner with US, UK, and Canadian legal, compliance and business counterparts in the TD Bank Group Wealth business to share best practices and resources. Qualifications • Law degree and qualified to practice law in a relevant U.S. jurisdiction.
• The ideal candidate should be a lawyer in good standing and possess 10+ years of relevant, in-house and/or law firm experience, with particular focus on wealth management, broker-dealer, investment advisory and trust topics. Client focus is retail and high net worth individuals and corporate, municipal, and institutional clients. Bank regulatory and insurance expertise are helpful but not required.
• Experience may be gained from a combination of private practice, employment with a regulator, or as in house counsel to a large financial institution.
• Experience with the effective management of regulatory and reputational risk.
• Demonstrated ability to build strong, collaborative relationships with business and other partners at all levels and across geographies.
• Excellent oral and written and succinct communication skills, suited to a fast-paced, results-oriented environment.
• Ability to communicate complicated legal issues in a clear and effective manner to business clients and other professionals, both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to multi-task and operate using sound business judgment on a day-to-day basis with limited supervision is critical. Inclusiveness
At TD, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers and communities in which we live in and serve, and creating an environment where every employee has the opportunity to reach her/his potential.
If you have a disability that requires an accommodation to complete the application process, please e-mail TD Bank's HR Compliance Department at email@example.com. Please include your full name, contact information and details about your request within the e-mail.
EOE/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
**Province/State (Primary) New York City (Primary) New York