Senior Systems Engineer
Arlington, VA or San Francisco, CA
About the Job
Responsibilities include all facets of System engineering - design, documentation, implementation, capacity planning, monitoring, troubleshooting, enforcing standards and interfacing with infrastructure team, network team, application owners and vendors. Securing systems by establishing and enforcing policies, support in line with security policy. Excellent detail-oriented and methodical approach to implementation and problem solving. Ability to represent the team well, evangelize technology and effectively train and mentor others. Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written & verbal) and be able to communicate complex technical information to a wide variety of individuals and groups. Must be able to write technical documentation, and perform complex vendor and technology analysis. Lead efforts with internal and external entities on complex issues to ensure systems availability and stability.
What does Opower do? We're applying cutting edge computer science to one of humanity's greatest challenges: Energy. Our utility customers around the world give us energy usage data for tens of millions of their customers which we then analyze and aggregate using the latest software technologies to motivate consumers to use less energy.
- Eight to ten (8-10) years of demonstrated on-the-job system administration experience in Linux (Oracle Linux, CentOS, RHEL, Ubuntu, or Scientific Linux 5/6/7)
- Demonstrated on-the-job experience building and patching Linux servers
- Ability to create scripts to automate tasks using Pearl, Python, Ruby, or similar
- Demonstrated on-the-job experience with version control software, such as Subversion or Git.
- Experience with enterprise class Virtualization (such as OVM) and containerization
- Develop and deploy software engineering and automation solutions for an enterprise Linux infrastructure using a variety of tools (e.g., Puppet, Chef, Git, Jenkins, and Foreman)
- Provide technical guidance in software engineering techniques and automated support tools
- Provide operational pager/phone duty support
- Complete day to day Operations & Maintenance tasks
- Perform operating system software updates, upgrades and patches
- Perform technical evaluations, analysis and troubleshooting for all supported servers in response to help desk tickets including, server failures, full systems outages and troubleshooting
- Expert knowledge in server end SAN/NAS configuration and troubleshooting
- Experience running and maintaining a 24x7 Internet-oriented production environment, preferably across multiple data centers, involving (preferably) hundreds of machines
- Desire and ability to own problems and solve them
- Team player with excellent communication skills and positive attitude
- Flexible, versatile, and adaptable to day to day activities
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative
- Prepare required documentation, including both program-level and user level documentation
- Solid networking knowledge including IP tables
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- You proved yourself as a systems engineer with exceptional organizational skills
- You have experience working with both on-premise and cloud infrastructure
- You always know the health and capacity of your systems because you collect the right data and have the right views to give you confidence
Define, design, and implement network communications and solutions within a fast-paced, leading edge database/applications company.
Responsible for creating and implementing system enhancements that will improve the performance and reliablility of the system. Manage the load configurations of a central data communication processor and make recommendations for purchase or upgrade of data networks. Coordinate terminal orders and cable installation, network system planning, upgrading, monitoring, testing, and servicing. Approves action requests and specifies purchase requisitions. Negotiates and places orders with common carriers. May play a team leader role for developing System Administrators.
Leading contributor individually and as a team member, providing direction and mentoring to others. Work is non-routine and very complex, involving the application of advanced technical/business skills in area of specialization. Eight years of related experience in a medium to large network distributed and computing environment. BS in Computer Science or related field.Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.
A little about us:
Oracle is shifting the complexity from IT, moving it out of the enterprise by engineering hardware and software to work together—in the cloud.