System Software Engineer - Bare Metal Cloud
Posted: December 15, 2016
Reference ID: 16001D89
System Software Engineer
Oracle's Bare Metal Cloud (BMC) Services group is building new Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) technologies that operate at high scale in a broadly distributed multi-tenant cloud environment. Our customers run their businesses on our cloud, and our mission is to provide them with the best in class compute, storage, networking, database, and security. These are exciting times in our space - we are growing fast, still at an early stage, and working on ambitious new initiatives. If you are passionate about taking ownership of big business and technical challenges in addition to vending software solutions that have a broad and significant impact, come join our team!
What you will do: You will be a member of a team that is responsible for provisioning and recycling the bare metal cloud infrastructure for both internal and external customers. You will collaborate with engineers from hardware engineering, software engineering and security engineering teams in order to design, develop, deploy and maintain bare metal system bring-up and device management solutions that are robust, secure and scalable.
Who is our ideal candidate: The ideal candidate for this role will be an innovative self-starter who is able to seek clarity in an ambiguous environment, constantly questioning the status quo and is willing to adapt to change. Ideally, you would have had prior experience with coding in a constrained systems environment such as BMC devices, embedded systems, etc and dealt with automation that deals with updating firmware on various hardware components. Prior experience in Bare Metal provisioning is a huge plus.
• 5 years experience as a software development engineer in a Unix/Linux systems environment.
• Strong experience in at least one high level programming language (Python, C/C or Java).
• Knowledge of computer science fundamentals in data structures, algorithm design, and problem solving.
• Experience in developing one of device drivers, kernel sub-systems, hardware/system bring-up software, and/or firmware update tools.
• Experience with OS image management and configuration management.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer sc ience, Computer engineering, electrical engineering or relevant experience in lieu of a degree.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Experience with bare metal provisioning process, network boot technologies such as PXE, iPXE, etc and bootloaders such as Grub.
• Knowledge of server manageability, BMC and IPMI.
• Understanding of BIOS & EFI.
• Understanding of Intel x86 architecture.
• Experience designing and implementing fault tolerant distributed systems and REST API interfaces.
• Graduate degree or higher in Computer science, Computer engineering, Electrical engineering or related field
Design, develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for databases, applications, tools, networks etc.
As a member of the software engineering division, you will take an active role in the definition and evolution of standard practices and procedures. You will be responsible for defining and developing software for tasks associated with the developing, designing and debugging of software applications or operating systems.
Work is non-routine and very complex, involving the application of advanced technical/business skills in area of specialization. Leading contributor individually and as a team member, providing direction and mentoring to others. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 7 years of software engineering or related experience.
Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.