SYSTEMS APPLICATION ENGINEER I
Under general direction, supports the construction sales team by assisting with pre and post sales activities on building systems and equipment project opportunities. Although the role is primarily weighted with execution of our equipment business, the ratio of pre and/or post sales activities will vary based on assigned branch type, assigned Account Execs and customer expectations.
Pre-sales activities include, but are not limited to; system configuration validation, HVAC equipment and/or controls selection for basis of design as well as bidding, application and pricing. This role will receive direction, coaching and support from assigned account executives and sales leadership on pre-sale needs and expectations.
Post sales activities include equipment project execution that is profitable, accurate, on-time, within the scope of the contract and in alignment with customer expectations. Develops and provides detailed engineering information and submittals to communicate design, configuration, operating and installation requirements to customers, consultants, Johnson Controls service and necessary subcontractors. Works with assigned sales team to maintain an effective balance between customer satisfaction and project financial results when performing pre-sale and/or post sale duties.
1. Provides technical support, selections and limited estimating support to Account Execs during project design or proposal phase. Assists as needed in developing the customer business case for the conceptual solution.
2. Supports detailed estimating of projects for Account Execs to finalize and present to clients. Validates assumptions made during proposal and development phase. Builds a detailed cost estimate and scope of work for assigned projects in conjunction with Sales. Assists in preparing proposals and other customer communication documents.
3. Prepares customer proposals and quote letters for assigned projects. Includes project takeoffs, specification review, special quote generation and RFQ and RFI issuance
4. Supports Account Execs' efforts to become basis of design through timely selections, specifications, sequences, drawings and review of documents as required.
5. Manages project Profit and Loss (P&L) and customer satisfaction for all projects assigned. Accomplishes this utilizing the Johnson Controls equipment order execution process, including; execution of the equipment orders, startup and final payment.
6. Works closely with branch administration to manage backlog execution, schedule and forecast execution of equipment projects up to two years in advance.
7. Interprets engineering drawings and specifications in order to develop and provide engineered equipment submittals in compliance with; contract drawing, site coordination, and site installation requirements.
8. Follows standardized submittal generation guidelines for preparation and processing of equipment engineering submittals, including but not limited to; final coil selection, coil hand coordination, fan selection, chiller performance verification, chiller configuration and option selection so as to match schedule, drawing and specification requirements.
9. Verifies that Johnson Controls has an "approved" equipment submittal and positive configuration acceptance by the installing contractor prior to releasing equipment for fabrication.
10. Evaluates the contractual scope of supply and the impact of client-issued bulletins, field directives and/or scheduling changes. Coordinates project schedule with the customer to ensure timely release of equipment.
11. Works to maximize appropriate additional change orders. Performs associated cost estimates, prepares proposals and works with sales in negotiating final settlement price and customer acceptance resulting from scope of supply changes / change orders.
12. Coordinates the factory equipment order process to ensure technical and commercial compliance with contract documents and site coordination requirements.
13. Generates technical content of Purchase Orders for field purchased materials and equipment.
14. Selects, orders, and tracks the delivery of materials and equipment for assigned projects. Coordinates shipping processes to meet factory and project schedule requirements and reviews the equipment order status reports as needed, identifying any critical delivery requirements. Coordinates equipment delivery requirements with the Customer.
15. Effectively communicates project progress, issues and financial status to management as required.
16. Reviews vendor invoices for technical and commercial compliance prior to approving payment.
17. Coordinates post shipment services that include but are not limited to; start-up initiation and solutions to delivery, shipping or scope omission problems.
18. As required, visits customer sites to ensure delivery and receipt of critical equipment is in compliance with the expectations of Johnson Controls, the customer and the owner.
19. Ensures project documentation is compliant with contract requirements, Johnson Controls standards and the formal Johnson Controls equipment order execution process.
20. Periodically answers engineered equipment and controls application questions from potential customers and other sales channels.
21. Develops and maintains viable long-term relationships with customers, consultants, prime contractors and subcontractors. Attends job progress meetings as required.
22. Coordinates customer-training requirements with local Johnson Controls service.
23. Works with Customer Operations Associate to address any billing and collections issues, and to assure Johnson Controls receives payment in full.
Bachelor's degree in Engineering. Computer skills experience to include: Microsoft Office suite, (with emphasis on Word, Excel and Visio) Adobe Writer, and basic Windows operating system environment. AutoCad experience is preferred. Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Good organizational skills with attention to detail. Interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with both internal and external customers. Demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage a large and diverse number of projects with professionalism, cooperation, and persistence.
A little about us:
We’re shaping the future. Together, let’s make a world that’s safe, comfortable and sustainable. Tomorrow needs you.