The SPARC Systems team at Oracle is responsible for development of SPARC RISC-processor-based servers. The servers are expressed as single-socket rack-mount machines through high-end machines with scalability to 32 sockets and 32 terabytes of memory. These servers utilize breakthrough technologies and capabilities such as software in silicon, in-memory computing, layered virtualization, embedded security, and high-speed interconnects, to create server products with unique value to customers. By co-engineering server hardware together with software, such as database, middleware and enterprise applications, Oracle enables companies to transform their IT infrastructure and achieve extreme performance and efficiency. SPARC servers provide mission-critical computing power for the most demanding environments and clouds.
This Systems Hardware Architect
role is an exciting opportunity to work with leading-edge server technology while assisting in the success of Oracle's server business. In addition, as a leader and part of a cross-functional team, you will translate technology features into business value, understand and explain complete hardware/software solutions, and describe competitive differentiation. You will interact with customers to ensure their success in the deployment of Oracle technology and with sales teams to help them be effective. Job Description:
This is an individual contributor design engineering position responsible for architecture of the next-generation of SPARC Systems. We are seeking a nationally and/or internationally a cknowledged expert and professional within the company and/or industry. You will provide leadership in the development and strategic direction of new products, processes, techniques and act as primary consultant on large projects that effect the organization's long term objectives and strategy. The ideal candidate has core competencies in several functional areas of system design and computer architecture.
In addition you will:
- provide hardware architectural guidance to cross-functional engineering teams to establish new product definition requirements and commitments.
- define and drive system and electrical architecture product definition.
- analyze key systems engineering architectural and implementation trade-offs
- design high-performance, high-power, high-quality products
- develop pre-netlist PCB floor-plan & stack-up feasibility considering component package & thermal design, signal integrity, EMC and RF issues for place and route guidance; power budgeting and analysis
- review, challenge, and influence cross-functional roadmaps
- Passion for product development
- Highly creative and able to think outside the box
- Demonstrated innovative, critical thinking and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent collaborator with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Deep understanding of server development
- Highly self motivated and able to operate with autonomy
- Proven track record of success
- Provide direction and mentor others
- Strong statistical background for analyzing data
- Good understanding of current server technology trends with a good feel for timing of production readiness for incorporation into a server development
- Deep understanding of customer requirements/pain-points and ability to match the viable technologies with customer or software application needs
- Strong cross group/pan-company communications; able to communicate up to executives, horizontally to peers and lower level engineers
- Strong contacts within component and FAB vendors
- Good understanding of the implications on FAB stack-up on board routing
- Good understanding of FAB material properties and trade-offs associated with the various materials
- Good understanding of signal integrity and power integrity issues and solutions
- Good understanding of thermal impact on performance, material selection, and mechanical design
- Good understanding sense of mechanical design trade-offs
- Ability to review the work of others and provide positive and constructive feedback
- BS in Computer/Electrical Engineering; MS or PhD preferred with 15 or more years of engineering or related experience.
Evaluates reliability of materials, properties and techniques used in production; plans, designs and develops electronic parts, components, integrated circuitry, mechanical systems, equipment and packaging, optical systems and/or DSP systems.
Responsible for designing, developing, modifying and evaluating electronic, electro-mechanical or mechanical components, assemblies or integrated circuitry for hardware systems for the external market. Includes new design, as well as modification activities that results in significant product enhancement. Activities encompass design, analysis, testing and process development using engineering principles and methods. Technical disciplines may include electrical and logical design of printed circuit boards or integrated circuits; mechanical design of electronics enclosures or integrated circuit packaging; and embedded software/firmware design.
Work is non-routine and very complex, involving the application of advanced technical/business skills in area of specialization. Leading contributor individually and as a team member, providing direction and mentoring to others. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 7 years of engineering or related experience.Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.