At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description:3M is seeking a Systems Control Technician for the Coated Abrasives manufacturing facility located in Detroit, MI. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.Job Summary:
The person hired for the position of Systems Control Technician
will work in the Plant Engineering department. Systems Control Technicians must be able to install, troubleshoot, repair, modify, calibrate and make adjustments to electrical, electronic, and pneumatic process control systems and devices used in production, laboratory, office and utility areas. They must be able to plan, install and troubleshoot electrical projects and equipment. Primary Responsibilities
include but are not limited to the following:
This position will require:
- Apply the operating principles, purpose, proper application and design limitations of primary sensing elements, control circuitry, and final control devices used in closed loop and open loop industrial process control systems including electronic, digital, analog, pneumatic and mechanical methods of signal generating, conditioning, transmitting, and recording data
- Read and work to the indicated accuracy, specifications and tolerances as detailed on engineering drawings, machine assembly prints, machine assembly prints, machine construction prints, blueprints, pneumatic schematics, sketches, equipment manuals and vendor diagrams
- Apply the electrical rules and regulations stipulated in the National Electrical Code and local electrical codes; stay current with code revisions
- Setup, operate and read precision testing and measuring
- Work from both written and verbal instructions
- Troubleshoot and diagnosis systems and equipment; systems may include measurement and control of current, voltage, temperature, humidity, speed, vacuum, pressure, level, weight, velocity, tension, flow, time, frequency, thickness, and density
- Bend and install conduit and other related wiring devices. Size all components needed to complete installation
- Install, troubleshoot, repair, and make standard adjustments to direct current and alternating current motor drive systems that range in size from fractional horsepower to hundreds of horsepower, including the physical and mechanical removal and replacement of all components
- Provide and maintain the minimum required quality and quantity of personal hand tools.
- Keep work area neat and orderly, contribute efforts toward the overall shop cleanliness.
- Observe 3M Safety Rules, 3M Guide to Conduct and Plant Engineering department work rules
- Install, troubleshoot, disassemble, repair, adjust and/or replace small mechanical components and mechanisms
- Perform other duties and tasks not specifically listed above which might be necessary to conduct company business in an effective and efficient manner as established by 3M
- Weekend work
- Working overtime
- Working on holidays as needed
- Short notice shift coverage
- Working rotating shifts
- Supply of hand tools and meters (larger tools provided)
- Frequent physical demands including working at heights in hot ovens and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Possess a High School Diploma/GED or higher
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in industrial maintenance OR Possess a two (2) year technical degree or diploma in a maintenance field
- Possess a certification or degree demonstrating a proficiency in mechanical, electrical and electronic controls areas and 5 (five) years of field experience
- Experience in servicing and maintaining motors and gear boxes, web lines, conveyors, belt driven equipment, motor starters and relays, electronic drives including VFDs, PLC diagnosis (minor programming changes)
- Skills include ability to systematically diagnose equipment problems and resolve problems, work proficiently with computer systems (emails, work order systems, file systems, communicate professionally with peers, engineers and management
: Detroit, MI Relocation:
Is not authorized
Qualified applicants will be required to take and pass 3M employment testing as a part of the selection process.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status.)
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.