Job SummaryResponsible for assisting design, development, and implementation of enterprise-wide DNS Architecture supporting all Charter Divisions. Participation in full life-cycle of systems engineering activities of high-quality, scalable solutions.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Serve as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for DNS server hardware deployment and troubleshooting.
- Accountable for the development and maintenance of documented procedures for deployments, upgrades, patching, and troubleshooting of a wide variety of issues, with a focus on DNS Hardware, Software and Operating System level areas (with coordination with management peers of other groups as appropriate)
- Establishes networking environment by designing system configuration; directing system installation; defining, documenting, and enforcing system standards and policies.
- Performs evaluation of network performance issues including: availability, utilization, throughput, and latency; planning and executing the selection, installation, configuration; defining network policies and procedures; establishing connections and firewalls.
- Work with application owners to identify system components and to document data flows between systems as well as between network boundaries.
- Maximizes network performance by both monitoring and analyzing performance, troubleshooting problems, tuning, optimizing, and balancing.
- Ability to review planned changed documentation to determine accuracy and compliance to Charter standards
- Solid multi-tasking and detail orientation skills.
- Strong build, deployment and ongoing support and administration experience of physical and virtual hardware
- Excellent interpersonal skills with emphasis on verbal/written communication including the ability to present performance feedback effectively and conflict resolution
- Passion for technology to continue to research and stay abreast of emerging technologies to appropriately consider them for future use and advise senior leadership.
- Ability to document processes, procedures clearly and accurately -- not only within the group to share the knowledge and understanding of managed systems, but also for distribution to both internal and external customers.
- This position includes remote access to platforms in national and regional data centers
- This position includes on-call availability such that the candidate must be available via cell phone or pager 24x7
Additional skills & qualifications:
- Seven or more years of experience in a managerial/lead operational role supporting DNS with combination of experience in AnswerX, Nominum and bind.
- Seven or more years in management of monitoring, trending, deploying and developing metrics to insure proper SLA’s are preserved.
- Seven or more years working with network and other application teams in troubleshooting of network layers (TCP), switch, process flows and metrics.
- Bachelors degree or equivalent industry level experience
- Working understanding of IPv4/IPv6 network troubleshooting; familiarity with snoop/tcpdump/tshark and Wireshark for troubleshooting.
- Strong understanding of VRF, VLAN, port channel, and sub-interface technologies
- Experience in a centralized repair/troubleshooting/testing environment that included answering telephones, logging events in a ticketing system, and providing technical support and repair coordination is desirable
- Strong understanding, troubleshooting, and experience of DNS
- Experience with application, network and OS monitoring systems (Netcool, OpsWare, Splunk, Solarwinds preferred)
- Experience with ticketing systems (Remedy preferred)
- Additional Strong Knowledge of Provisioning, DHCP, LDAP, VOIP, Networking
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and general Windows and/or Mac usage
- Experience with managing remediation of security vulnerabilities associated with Redhat infrastructure as well as reassignment of vulnerabilities to respective application owners
- Familiarity with ITIL terminology and concepts
- Understanding of IP, TCP, UDP, BGP, DHCP, LDAP, NTP, SNMP, VoIP all beneficial
- Experience in ISP environments desirable
- Related vendor certifications
A little about us:
Spectrum is the nation’s fastest growing TV, internet and voice company. We’re committed to integrating the highest quality service with superior entertainment and communications products.