At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description: Job Summary
The Systems Technician II assumes area of responsibility and technical leadership for maintaining control systems, PLC logic, electrical components, equipment reliability, parameter set up, diagnosing machine behavior and resolving complex issues. This position will provide systems technician support for new equipment installations while supporting the full life cycle of our assets including ownership for improving and renewal of our legacy control systems. Specialized training and experience is required to perform the duties and support training of the area technicians in order to advance their body of knowledge. Support the development and implementation of maintenance procedures and techniques for a safe, reliable and efficient operation of the plant.Primary Responsibilities
- Provide asset leadership for assigned area of ownership. This ownership may include:
- Evaluate equipment needs to determine cost effectiveness and feasibility of repair versus replacement
- Review and analyze production performance reports to identify possible improvements in maintenance techniques, procedures and methods
- Assist plant engineering staff in planning, scheduling, and coordinating equipment downtime for major repairs and overhaul
- Develop and maintain maintenance documentation and records (i.e. work order notes, prints, program backups, software revisions)
- Assure effective security practices on assigned projects to protect engineering technology and sensitive information
- Identifying and prioritizing capital renewal plans as it pertains to obsolescence and reliability needs
- Assist plant-engineering staff in the implementation of metrology, stockroom, work management systems and other administrative programs for effective maintenance operations
- Provide technical assistance to maintenance personnel in diagnosing, troubleshooting, determining root causes of failures, and eliminating equipment problems
- Advanced support to troubleshoot, repair, maintain, and improve systems components. These activities may include:
- Motors, drive control components and I/O
- PLC devices & logic
- Direction and design of controls programming and ability to modify or write code
- Network systems and communication
- Low voltage equipment and components
- Calibrate/repair process control instrumentation, sensors and other field devices
- Leadership for the development and deployment of our Preventive and Predictive Maintenance, including analyzing available data to improve job plans and frequency
- Assist in the training of maintenance and production personnel on the appropriate use, maintenance and repair of equipment
- Update wiring schematics and prints
- Troubleshoot and solve complex electrical systems and design problems
- Analyze and interpret signals from log files to improve equipment performance and reliability
- Follow the maintenance work management process, which includes utilizing the maintenance management software to identify equipment problems, obtain parts, document findings, track personal labor hours and material on jobs, capture repair history, etc
- Contribute to Manufacturing Conscious Engineering by participating in development and coordination of engineering projects, including design, procurement and installation of new equipment and modification of existing equipment
- Maintain preferred manufacturer list for new equipment design
- Help establish critical spare parts list to mitigate downtime with respect to spare parts investment
- Work with Division Engineering, Facilities, and Environmental Engineering, as necessary, for guidance related to machine design, facilities requirements, and environmental considerations
- Maintain a safe and organized work environment
- High School Diploma/GED or higher
This position will require:
- Associate degree in an engineering related field (Mechatronics, Industrial Electronics, Robotics & Automation, etc)
- Experience with reliability analysis and predictive (PdM) technologies
- Must have the ability to read, understand, and update electrical prints.
- Ability to communicate, both written and oral, technical information to a diverse audience
- Must possess an advanced understanding of controls logic, PLC programming and networking systems
- Possess a high regard and understanding of 3M Safety practices
- Must possess good documentation skills
Body of Knowledge Development
- Weekend Work
- Short notice shift coverage
Manufacturing Asset Management Predictive Tools
Training Advisor - Rockwell Automation (Allen-Bradley sites)
Location: Charlotte, NC
Relocation: Is not authorized
Qualified applicants will be required to take and pass 3M employment testing as part of the selection process.
Travel may be required during introduction of equipment and to maintain technical education.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status)
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.