The Tax Director is responsible for the complete income tax cycle for the US operations of the Frito-Lay North America Division (FLNA) and the North American Shared Services Division (NASS). These responsibilities include forecasting the effective tax rate, reviewing the quarterly tax provision, oversight of the federal and state income tax compliance, research and planning, and audit defense. The FLNA Division manufactures and distributes food products throughout the United States with annual sales revenue in excess of $15 billion.
The position has significant interaction with the finance groups for the FLNA and NASS business units which are based in Plano, TX. This position will directly manage three tax accountants. This position is responsible for supporting the complete tax cycle of PepsiCo, Inc. and subsidiaries with primary responsibilities for the FLNA and NASS divisions and is based in Plano, TX.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: Tax Forecasting:
- Forecast the effective and cash tax rates for planning and quarterly reporting.
- Provide financial analysis to support tax planning initiatives and projects.
- Consult with tax planning staff to forecast the impact of proposed transactions.
Research and Planning:
- Review PAB FAS 109 calculation.
- Coordinate quarterly review by the independent accounting firm (as needed).
- Verify tax accounting accuracy and maintain policies and procedures.
- Work with the planning group to properly report transactions.
- Sarbanes Oxley compliance.
- Identify and support initiatives to deliver the lowest sustainable effective tax rate.
- Identify and support projects which will reduce the current cash tax rate.
- Act as local tax advisor to the FLNA & NASS business units.
- Represent the Tax Department with the business units, aligning tax department resources to resolving issues as well as suggest tax efficient alternatives.
- Provide local tax support to the Purchase, NY based Tax Department.
- Communicate relevant tax data to facilitate planning efforts.
- Manage and review the preparation of the federal income tax returns for the FLNA and NASS division companies which are included in the consolidated PepsiCo, Inc. filing.
- Manage and review the preparation of the FLNA division separate state income and franchise tax returns and the assigned PepsiCo state income tax unitary filings.
- Review provision to return calculation.
- Develop, lead, recruit and retain direct reports.
- Provide the foundation for successful tax accounting reporting by cultivating a high level of tax accounting expertise and a deep knowledge of the business.
- Foster an environment of trust and inclusion.
- Ensure that direct reports are exposed to career development opportunities.
- Develop strong relationships with business partners.
- Participate in external tax professional groups and organizations.
- Maintain a focus on continuing to develop technical tax expertise.
Tax Specialty Breakdown:
Estimated Specific Responsibility Breakdown:
- Federal - 50%
- State and Local - 50%
- Tax return review - 35%
- Research, planning and business support - 25%
- FAS109/Forecasting - 20%
- Audit Defense - 20%
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance. Masters in Tax preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years, with at least 5 years of "Big 4" or equivalent experience preferred and 3-5 years of managerial responsibility.
- Ability to generate creative ideas and solutions, prioritize and deliver results.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Intermediate level of tax technical expertise.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter with ability to manage competing projects in time-constrained environment.
- Thorough understanding of ASC 740, Accounting for Income Taxes.
- Experience with CorpTax or similar tax software.
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead cross-functional teams.
- Travel Requirements - Approximately 15% Domestic
Not Eligible for Relocation
A little about us:
Our nation’s veterans bring unbeatable life experience, job skills and leadership to PepsiCo. Together We Win.