It starts with you. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain and motivate the most talented people - those who care and who work together as partners across business units and functions. We value and promote diversity and inclusion in every aspect of our business and at every level of our organization.
The Wholesale Tax Office has an exciting opportunity for an experienced, forward-thinking leader to join the Wholesale Tax team to serve as a Tax Manager within the Governance Program of the Wholesale Tax group. The position is aligned to assist with the maintenance of the governance program enabling the Wholesale Tax Program across the Wholesale Banking Group to meet regulatory requirements related to customer information tax onboarding, withholding, and reporting including:
- Assisting with establishment of a governance structure incorporating all of the tax requirements for a robust customer tax program including developing, implementing, and monitoring the customer tax program to identify, assess, and mitigate risk.
- Assisting with design and development of governance strategies, methodologies, and analysis and evaluation of adequacy and effectiveness of policies, procedures, processes, and internal controls in providing oversight of Wholesale’s U.S. and global tax requirements.
- Assisting with developing risk practices to assess, monitor, analyze, and report the Tax Program’s state of compliance.
- Assisting with implementation, monitoring, and analyzing key performance and risk metrics associated with a robust customer tax program.
- Helping maintain an awareness of customer information tax risk issues across Wholesale and ensuring appropriate escalation and the necessary follow-up.
- As needed, helping assess specific US and international risks and establishing practices to incorporate into the Wholesale Tax Center of Excellence pillars of Onboarding, Withholding, Reporting, and Data Management, including oversight to or coordination of Line of Business impact and required gap assessments.
- As needed, assisting with response plans and improving awareness of emerging customer tax risks throughout all Wholesale businesses.
- Assisting with producing, managing, and coordinating WGRO risk reporting, and analyzing and interpreting results.
- Serving as a member of the governance team to help ensure adequate controls are in place for Wholesale tax withholding and reporting obligations, including W-8 and W-9 certification and validation, backup withholding, NRA withholding, and FATCA withholding.
- Serving as a member of the governance team to help ensure Federal, State, and non-US withholding amounts are deposited with the appropriate tax authority or agency and filing of annual withholding reconciliation returns (Forms 945 and 1042).
- Working closely with the Wholesale Lines of Business (LOBs) to improve the risk management function related to tax requirements.
- As needed, helping coordinate with the Technology organization to design and deliver technology enablement related to tax processing, including the integration and enhancement of multiple systems related to tax processing in order to ensure a robust customer tax program.
- As needed, working closely with the Wholesale Lines of Business, U.S. and Regional compliance and risk teams, Corporate Tax Information Reporting Consulting, Corporate Risk, the Law Department, and Audit as it relates to oversight of Wholesale’s customer tax activities.
- 6+ years of corporate income tax experience
- 3+ years of management experience
- Experience working in a large enterprise environment
- Ability to influence across all organizational levels, particularly senior management
Other Desired Qualifications
- 6+ years customer income tax experience including U.S. Tax reporting expertise and expertise in US tax rules, and 3+ years management experience in major accounting firm, law firm, financial services company or multinational company
- Demonstrated knowledge of technical tax onboarding, withholding, reporting, and required tax compliance
- Experience influencing processes, policies, and procedures consistent with corporate values and tax laws
- Experience tracking records for implementing significant improvements to existing processes
- Ability to independently evaluate tax issues and apply sound business judgment with minimal oversight
- Juris Doctorate, Masters of Taxation, or Certified Public Accountant (CPA), or equivalent certification
- Experience leading operations in a financial services environment including experience leading tax reporting teams through process design / reengineering initiatives with quantifiable results
- Strong influence and negotiation skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization including senior / executive management
- Ability to take complicated subject matters and effectively present recommendations and options
- Proven project management and coordination skills
- Demonstrated strong communication skills to communicate complex tax issues, opportunities, and risks to non-tax experts in a clear and concise manner
All offers for employment with Wells Fargo are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. Wells Fargo will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and Federal law, including Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
Relevant military experience is considered for veterans and transitioning service men and women.
Wells Fargo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.
A little about us:
Wells Fargo is committed to hiring and retaining active military personnel and veterans. Our goal is to employ 20,000 veterans by 2020.