The firm is looking for a State & Local Tax (SALT) Manager to join our SALT practice in our Birmingham Office.
This role provides an opportunity to join a high-performing tax practice. You will use your expertise to provide compliance and consulting services to corporations, partnerships and our Family Wealth Services practice. You will also help lead and manage our growth, identify and seize new business opportunities, supervise staff and work closely with Partners. Candidates must be familiar with the tax consulting process and possess the analytical skills necessary for the effective diagnosis, development and implementation of solutions to clients' tax needs. With the firm, you'll have the opportunity to develop and pursue creative approaches to resolve client issues.
- The candidate will work in a middle market tax practice providing SALT solutions, identifying Income tax, Franchise tax, Sales & Use tax, Property tax and other State tax issues for clients with multi-state operations/investments
- Deliver timely and responsive services and products that meet and/or exceed client expectations
- The candidate will work directly with Regional and National State Tax Leaders as well as Tax partner(s)
- Team with federal and international tax team members to provide high level state tax consulting for key clients and resolve technical SALT issues
- Teams with personnel from other offices and industry groups to manage and develop SALT consulting practices
- Performs SALT compliance reviews, assists clients with SALT controversies, and researches and draft technical memoranda regarding income and franchise tax issues
- Research of various SALT issues relating to tax law changes, regulations, or tax cases
- Leverage technical knowledge and experience to provide effective project management and practice development.
- Assists with proposals and business development
- Lead, supervise, mentor and develop staff members
- Develop, grow and oversee state income franchise tax services
- Mentor and train Staff, Seniors and Managers and Senior Managers
- CPA, CMI or equivalent certification required
- BS/BA in Accounting, Business or related field required, Masters/MBA, or LLM a plus
- 6+ years of current or recent experience in public accounting or corporate tax department
- Thorough experience identifying and addressing client needs: developing and sustaining deep client relationships using networking, negotiation and persuasion skills to identify and sell potential new service opportunities; preparing and presenting complex written and verbal materials; and defining resource requirements, project workflow, budgets, billing and collection
- Subject matter expertise in an area of State Income Tax with a strong understanding of non-core technical tax issues (strong focus on Income Franchise)
- Demonstrated ability to create, maintain and build relationships with clients
- Thorough experience as a team leader: leading teams to generate a vision, establish direction and motivate members, create an atmosphere of trust, leverage diverse views, coach staff, and encourage improvement and innovation
- Solid reputation in the market as a SALT advisor
- Strong written, communication and presentation skills a must
- Light to moderate travel required
A little about us:
RSM US LLP is the nation’s leading provider of audit, tax and consulting services focused on the middle market.