The Data Science team supports the Claims, Service, and Sales operations organization through predictive modeling and operations research.
This role will be responsible for developing text mining rules against large datasets in our NLP-based software; projects will span Auto, Property, GL, WC and Disability lines of business. This role will also act as a pioneer in developing similar capabilities for Sales, Service, Underwriting and Risk Engineering through text mining new sources such as documents, emails and social media. This role requires close collaboration with various stakeholders within the enterprise such as data science, small commercial, middle market and external data vendors.
We seek candidates with a solid data background in research as well as strong analytical skills, communication, interpersonal skills and business acumen. The ideal candidate will also possess an investigative nature, be extremely detailed oriented, embrace vigorous research and analysis of complex narratives to detect, evaluate, and categorize insightful patterns. While some technical skills are required, the candidate should expect more day-to-day emphasis on the research aspect of the role . Responsibilities:
The primary responsibilities for the position will include the following:
• Establishes and maintains partnerships with internal customers, guiding partners from concept ideation through project completion.
Qualifications: Experience & Skills
- Collects hypothesis and business requirements, then translates to work plan and executes on work plan .
- Follows a published release calendar, controlling customer expectations around scope and planning work such that the end-to-end process is completed within one release cycle.
- Creates corpora for use in text mining projects; employs working knowledge of SAS, SQL, and Oracle. Note: This is not a technical or programming role, knowledge of technical tools and coding is helpful but not required.
- Employs knowledge of natural language concepts such as named entity recognition, part of speech tagging, parsing, relationship extraction & word sense disambiguation to interact with NLP software for the creation of text flags from unstructured data.
- Train data science team on new data assets.
- Sustain focus and pace through extended and repetitive cycles of research, development and rigorous testing to ensure high quality results.
- Support development of training materials and perform end-user training to ensure a high degree of customer engagement.
- Partner with IT to oversee implementation of work efforts.
- Support documentation, metadata and data visualization of the assets.
- Participate in the development of the implementation plan as a subject matter expert.
- Designs, develops and implements data mining tools and analyses to sift through large amounts of data stored in a data warehouse or data mart to find relationships and patterns.
- Requires in-depth knowledge and experience. Solves complex problems; takes a new perspective using existing solutions. Works independently; receives minimal guidance.
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience. Represents the level at which career may stabilize for many years or even until retirement
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in Statistics, Business, Computer Science, Actuarial Science, MIS or related field.
- 3-5 years in Research role
- Some knowledge of SAS, SQL, PERL, R or Python with a text mining focus.
- 3-5 years of experience in the P&C insurance industry (Actuarial, Underwriting, Product Management, IT)
- Strong verbal/written communication skills; Must be able to communicate effectively at all levels across the organization.
- Results-oriented. Demonstrates a sense of urgency and accountability for business issues.
- Customer focused. Builds effective relationships with internal partners, including actuarial, underwriting, operations, and information technology.
- Innovative. Seeks new and creative ways to approach analytical exercises and development projects.
- Strong influencing skills
- The ideal candidate is a technically-minded self-starter who can work well under pressure and balance competing priorities in fast-paced, dynamic work environment.
- Strong strategic thinking and exceptional analytical capability
A little about us:
HIRING VETERANS IS A PRIORITY FOR THE HARTFORD