Grainger is a global leading broad line supplier of facilities maintenance products serving businesses and institutions. Our 18,000 employees are driven to serve customers and the community in exceptional ways focusing on delivering the highest level of service. The Grainger team works closely with customers to better understand their challenges and provide cost-saving solutions. Grainger's employees serve customers more than 115,000 times every day through multiple channels. As part of a high-performing team, you'll be able to develop your talents, and make a difference. Grainger is a Fortune 500company and a perennial member of Fortune magazine's Most Admired Companies list.
A solid taxonomy is the foundation for successful merchandising of products and sets the stage for the data that the business gathers. The Taxonomy Lead
is responsible for the quality of our taxonomy and data standards. This position is accountable for ensuring that associated reviews are properly executed and shapes data management methodologies, metrics, and tools.
The Taxonomy Lead
provides direction, guidance, and oversight to support how other cross-functional teams use this information. The main focus is to maintain data integrity among the many different taxons, schema sets, and the maintenance required therein. Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Execute activities that relate to Taxonomy and Schema development:
- Data research, analysis, and diagnosis
- Documenting issues and providing the appropriate courses of action for resolution
- Communicating with internal business partners and vendors
- Implementing internal and external feedback
- Creating and executing on business rules
- Summarizing issues/trends into work tracks for scalable resolution
- Data Standards
- Research, identify, and implement attribute naming conventions, industry/trade names, and categorizations
- Maintain and add to the existing standards and guidelines documents
- Provide data enhancement recommendations (data Gaps, missing information, Inconsistent UOM /abbreviations, miscategorization, etc.)
- Provide requirements/recommendations based on research
- Web/Product Hierarchy as it relates to Taxonomy
- System functionality
- Data cleansing
- Create and maintain product and publishing data set standards, including dimensional attributes, performance attributes, and product categorization
Position Requirements: Education
- MLIS, MLS, MS, or Data Analytics education or equivalent is preferred
- 3-5 years of experience with Taxonomy/Product Information/Databases
- MRO experience preferred, but not necessary
- Strong background in research, analysis, and business communication
- Work history with large data sets, tight deadlines, and minute details
- Database management, maintenance, and reporting
- Expert proficiency in Microsoft Office functionality, especially Excel (Macros, VBA, Pivot Tables, Lookups).
- Basic to Intermediate skills in Structured Query Language (SQL) including INNER JOIN, LEFT JOIN, Boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT), conditional statements (CASE-ELSE), subqueries, and joining multiple tables
- Able collaborator with leadership, business users, and technical personnel
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in deadline-driven environment and handle multiple conflicting priorities
- Strong project management skills
- Attention to detail.
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
A little about us:
Grainger helps customers save time and money by providing them the right products to keep their facilities up and running.