W.W. Grainger, Inc. is a business-to-business distributor of products used to maintain, repair and operate facilities. Approximately 3 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products such as safety gloves, ladders, motors and janitorial supplies, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including healthcare, manufacturing, government and hospitality. They place orders online, with mobile devices, over the phone and at local branches. More than 4,800 key manufacturers supply Grainger with 1.5 million products made available to customers through Grainger's distribution centers and branches.
The Team Member Experience (TME) Specialist is the expert investigator for situations related to the team member experience and works with HR leaders and business partners to create proactive solutions to achieve business outcomes through people. It focuses on leveraging people data/analytics from engagement/ new hire/ exit surveys; ethics/ employee relations cases, etc. to predict trends, influence people strategies, and form unbiased points of view. Desired outcomes that this role would be responsible for driving include:
- decreased team member experience variation
- increased leader effectiveness
- higher team member engagement (and higher business performance/ global growth as a result)
- positive employee relations/ direct dealing
- inclusion (in partnership with I&D group)
- mitigate talent risks
- Improved proactive performance coaching and performance turnaround
The TME Specialist provides valued strategic consulting level support and guidance through ownership of at least one TME global process. This role will function as a thought leader and coach local HR teams through deployment and adoption of best practices in the global processes. This role will ensure standards of excellence in deliverables, interactions and business outcomes.Principal Duties & Responsibilities
Preferred Education & Experience:Competencies:
- Conduct TME assessments/audits, investigations, performance improvement, policy interpretation, case management, metrics and system reporting without error.
- In close partnership with the aligned HR generalist and the HRIS/HR Business Intelligence team, regularly review established set of consistent team member experience success measures for business areas of responsibility in order to proactively reduce variation in the team member experience, ensure minimal risk and exposure to the company and create continual improvement processes.
- Operate as a global COE with ownership over one of the following processes: performance improvement, investigations, TME assessment, and policy development/interpretation as well as ethics hotline responses for Grainger
- Consult, counsel and teach business partners effective ways of resolving team member issues that are supported by the Company's policies and guidelines, mitigate risk and drive for optimum team member experience.
- Provide coaching and guidance to managers regarding their employees' performance
- and assist with creation of appropriate development plans with the intention of avoiding or turning around performance improvement plans.
- Ensure leaders build capability to drive high performance teams by proactively managing performance, and increasing regular documentation and quality conversations.
- Demonstrates consultative, relationship building, interpersonal and influence skills in dealing with all levels of HR and business management and is effective at quickly establishing credibility and developing working relationships.
- Open and broaden exposure and experience with organizational leaders and team members in order to fully assess all areas of need within the business unit versus merely the one presented.
- Create open and multi way dialogue and partnerships in effort to fully understand and embrace all implications of situation at hand and greater risk.
- Proactively create open and sustained dialogue sharing value added coaching, in the moment coaching, feedback, development, and growth for team members at all levels.
- Strong business and financial acumen
- Must be able to research information and analyze data to arrive at valid conclusions, recommendations, and plans of action
- Strong consulting skills, influencer and coach (as a business leader first and offers HR leader expertise)
- Problem solving and systemic thinking skills- critical analytics/ diagnosis/ prioritization skills
- Strong decision making skills and judgment to drive the right impact
- Ability to relate to people at all levels and build trusted relationships
- Courage and conviction to challenge status quo and business/HR leader thinking
- Strong process orientation
- Strong project management skills
- Demonstrates intellectual curiosity and learning agility
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Presents views and arguments well to a variety of levels and audiences. Can explain concepts in a way that is simple.
- Ability to navigate a complex matrixed environment
- Serves as a strong champion of inclusion and diversity
- Highly ethical- high integrity- does the right thing for the business and our team members
- Demonstrated strong intellectual curiosity to ask the "why" to bring the best thinking to the table and determine root cause(s) of TME challenges
- Exercise good judgment in dealing with highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Must understand all applicable federal laws and regulations that apply to the position and comply with the requirements.
- Bachelor Degree is required. MBA or Masters in Organizational Development, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Human Resources, Education or related field is preferred
- 5-8 years progressive leadership in human resource management or comparable area; specific expertise in employee relations required
- PHR/GPHR certification preferred.
- Experience in consulting, providing strategic recommendations to corporate and field clients, experience consulting with respect to performance management/improvement is preferred
- Experience in measurement/ analytics (data collection, analysis and interpretation) to support fact-based, predictive decision making
- Previous success in influencing without direct authority to effectively manage the needs of multiple variable stakeholders
- Must be able to travel within and outside the US; up to 20%
- Should be comfortable working with virtual and on location team members.
The impact of decisions made by the individual in this role would affect: the job itself, others within COE, the HR function, business leader(s) and team members involved in each situation.
Sample decisions and activities could be to:
Working Relationships Internal Partners:
- Application of enterprise-wide processes/tools/methodologies
- Work directly with leaders and managers to conduct interviews, leading meetings, facilitating team development activities, etc.
- Responsible for the strategic direction and application of TME processes and policies across the Company.
- Acts as a trusted advisor on complex or high risk TME decisions.
- Actively consults with Employment Law, security/ compliance, and HRDs to reduce risk and increase performance throughout the Company.
- Work with sensitive talent data
- Collaborate with business leaders and human resource partners to assess needs and determine appropriate human performance strategies
HR Generalists, HR Center of Excellence partners, Employment Law, multiple levels of business leadership and Security. External Partners:
External research / benchmarking organizations (evaluate best practices and determine how such practices change be implemented at Grainger) interface would be with mid-management in such organizations.
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Grainger helps customers save time and money by providing them the right products to keep their facilities up and running.