Monsanto's North America Technology Development & Agronomy Organization is seeking a Technical Agronomist
to be the area product/agronomic leader. The Agronomist will develop and lead an innovative training program to ensure Dealers and the Sales Team have the product/agronomic knowledge and skills to grow the business. The Agronomist will work collaboratively with the Area Business Manager to (1) ensure that the key elements of the brand strategy are executed in the field, (2) develop/implement a team business plan and (3) evaluate Stakeholders agronomic skills and training needs. The Agronomist will provide essential connectivity to Technology Development Reps and branded Product Management making them aware of key needs, areas of strengths, and market opportunities. The Agronomist efforts will ultimately result in superior sales performance and achievement of the area's business goals. Also, the Agronomist will collaborate with other functions to position new products and services.
This position will have agronomic responsibilities for the following territory: North Dakota and northwestern Minnesota. The Technical Agronomist will provide product/agronomic leadership by:
The Technical Agronomist will provide business leadership by:
- Being the expert on products (including the Digital Platform), traits, and services.
- Having the agronomic skill set that includes detailed knowledge of local production practices, ability to recommend best management practices, and the capability to manage product performance inquiries.
- Developing materials and field activities that support the brand experience.
- Ensuring key agronomic resources and messages (using all types of media) are available to the district sales managers, dealers, and customers.
- Establishing an agronomic support network within and outside of Monsanto.
- Developing and executing a product testing strategy that supports the sales goals.
- Summarizing performance data that drive sales and effectively utilize available products.
- Being expert in utilizing spatial data and data systems.
The Technical Agronomist will demonstrate operational excellence by:
- Assisting in development of an area forecast that will achieve Seed, Traits, Seed Treatments, and Digital Platform targets.
- Developing and communicating an understanding of the competitive landscape.
- Engaging important stakeholders such as consultants, academics, larger and influential customers.
The Technical Agronomist will provide safety leadership:
- Working within budgets determined by management.
- Complying with all corporate policies related to, expense, travel, procurement and sales programs.
- Complying with and promoting all safety policies and program requirements.
- Modeling and coaching safety best management practices for sales team and customers.
- Master's and/or PhD in an Ag/Life Sciences or related discipline, or Bachelor's Degree in an Ag/Life Sciences with at least 5 years of high-performing experience
- Working experience in an agronomic related field through (but not limited to) field research, Ag sales, extension work, and/or farm management
- Comfortable public speaker with the ability to make clear and compelling presentations/training
- Excellent interpersonal relationships and capable of building strong relationships with external stakeholders and internally across all levels of the organization
- Leadership. Able to influence a complex network of stakeholders to achieve desired outcomes
- Strategic thinker with the ability to work with limited direction and make decisions independently
- Strong verbal and writing skills with the ability to provide timely and sound agronomic recommendations using different media
- Desire to travel and live/work in rural environments
- Desire to travel approximately 80% of the time with overnight travel ranging from 10 to 30% annually
- Ability to lift a minimum of 60 pounds (a bag of seed)
- Ability to pass driving record background check (i.e. moving violations, accidents, license suspension, etc.)
- Technology savvy and early adopter of new Software & Hardware solutions (i.e. mobile technology, scientific/statistical Software, precision farming/GIS systems, and basic knowledge of databases and information reporting tools, etc.)
- Consultative agronomic experience preferably in row crops (corn, soybeans, cotton) and/or precision ag
- Certified Crop Adviser (CCA) certification
- Proficient interpreting field protocols, research literature, and field reports translating data/statistics into market related information