Brief Description: As a member of the Support organization, your focus is to deliver Engineered Systems upgrade, patching and support solutions to the Oracle customer base while serving as an advocate for customer needs. This involves planning, scheduling and performing Oracle Engineered Systems released patches including Oracle RDBMS, CRS and ASM as well as Oracle Enterprise Linux systems. Working with a primary point of contact for customers, you are responsible for facilitating customer upgrades and patching within the customer requested timeframes. As an Oracle Systems Engineer, you will become an expert in Engineered Systems technology, with hands on expertise across the stack & tiers (application and system), focused on a wide range of Oracle Engineered systems technology, the operations surrounding it, and the Oracle services infrastructure needed to achieve the highest service levels (e.g., Platinum Service) and consequent high customer satisfaction. You will be expected to help guide resolution of multiple highly difficult and complex problems and escalations involving several product areas.
Job Requirements: Have good hands on experience in Linux/ Solaris System and/or Database administration and good knowledge of different technology products/ services/ processes.
Job Deliverables: Candidate will be responsible for delivering system & database patching and upgrade services to Engineered Systems customers. Patching process documentation will be required. The candidate will also be responsible for interacting with customer counterparts on a regular basis and serving as the technology expert on the customer's behalf. This service is delivered via remote support and the candidate should be able to work in an independent environment while interacting with other team members remotely.
Description: The Patch Engineer will use knowledge of systems and database management products and services to support the IT infrastructure. This role requires the Patch Engineer to monitor and support Customer system and database operations, and provides system and database administration tasks to ensure timely delivery of quality IT Products and Services. Based upon strategic direction and initiatives, you must be able to deliver tactical results of agreed upon objectives. A thorough knowledge of IT concepts, strategies and methodologies as well as practices is essential.
- Works directly with customers
- Analyze systems on their current configurations and compare with targeted software releases
- Install and patch Engineered Systems software and related components
- Participate in weekend rotation and shifts
- Monitor system and database activity, performance, and capacity
- Respond to customer requests quickly and document corrective action
- Participates in initiatives that improve overall process, product and documentation quality
- Participates in product/platform testing
- Drives improvements in product and services quality
- Participates in Beta programs
- Serves as Situation Manager on highly sensitive proactive and reactive Customer issues
- Consults with Management in directing resolution of critical Customer situations
- Consults with Customers on complex use of Oracle products
- Achieves knowledge transfer with teammates through different methods
- Proactively contribute to increasing the teams efficiency by sharing knowledge, providing feedback about best practices, writing tools / utilities
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology or Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- UNIX administrative experience, Linux and Solaris (HP-UX, AIX a plus)
- Experience in multi-tier architecture environment required
- High-level skills in database upgrades and patching and general computer programming and demonstrated experience in database analysis, scoping, data and process mapping.
- Fundamental understanding of computer networking, systems and database technologies.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks
- Excellent English language communications skills (verbal and written).
- Candidates must be highly motivated, must have initiative, team-oriented, and able to meet the aggressive schedules required in a fast moving environment
- Experience with OEM, Grid control, RMAN and tape management systems
- Oracle RAC, CRS, Cellcli, ASM, RMAN, Data Guard all a plus.
- Oracle installation, patch and upgrade within production environments.
- Project Management skills - some
- Any Oracle certifications are a plus
- Self driven and result oriented
- Strong Problem solving/analytical skills
- Strong customer support and client relation skills.
- Effective communication (verbal and written)
- Focus on relationships (internal and external)
- Strong willingness to learn new things and share them with others
- Team player, Customer focused, Confident and decisive
- Expertise (maintaining professional in own discipline)
- Enthusiasm and Flexibility
- Organizational skills
- Coaching/knowledge transfer Ability
Who Should Apply?
Oracle DBAs, System administrators (all Unix/Linux flavours) with a minimum 6 years of relevant experience. shell script knowledge and experience will be a plus.
WHAT DOES THE JOB OFFER?
A Unique opportunity and long term career perspective to learn different Oracle Engineered System Products and transition from current System Admin profile to expert Oracle Profile.
There is no formal dress code for this position; however, the candidate will be required to follow customer dress codes in the event that they will be asked to travel to the customer site.
TRAVEL (0 to 25%)
Travel may be required for training or as needed at the customer's request. The candidate should have a valid driver's license and a passport for the ability to travel upon request.
The candidate should not expect to have to work overtime on a regular basis, but may be required on an as needed basis. The work hours would need to be flexible as you will have to adhere to each Global customer's scheduled timeframes.
Work Location and Time: Oracle US, Colorado Springs is the work location. Work hours are 10:30am MDT - 7:30pm MDT during DST (summer), 9:30am MST - 6:30 pm MST during standard time (winter). Weekends will be twisted to cover the business need and Global customers.
As a member of the Support organization, your focus is to deliver post-sales support and solutions to the Oracle customer base while serving as an advocate for customer needs. This involves resolving post-sales non-technical customer inquiries via phone and electronic means, as well as, technical questions regarding the use of and troubleshooting for our Electronic Support Services. A primary point of contact for customers, you are responsible for facilitating customer relationships with Support and providing advice and assistance to internal Oracle employees on diverse customer situations and escalated issues.
As a Sr. Support Engineer, you will be the technical interface to customers, Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) and Value-Added Resellers (VARs) for resolution of problems related to the installation, recommended maintenance and use of Oracle products. Have an understanding of all Oracle products in their competencies and in-depth knowledge of several products and/or platforms. Also, you should be highly experienced in multiple platforms and be able to complete assigned duties with minimal direction from management. In this position, you will routinely act independently while researching and developing solutions to customer issues.
Job duties are varied and complex utilizing independent judgment. May have project lead role. 4 years experience with Core products or five years experience with Applications products and have a technical degree i.e., BS Computer Science/Management Information Systems/Science/ Engineering/Math/Physics/Chemistry with a 3.0 GPA OR (for Applications) proven professional/ technical experience, i.e., demonstrating an understanding of Applications at a functional and technical level (preferably Oracle)Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.
A little about us:
Oracle is shifting the complexity from IT, moving it out of the enterprise by engineering hardware and software to work together—in the cloud.