PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
Provide deep technical design expertise to support delivery and maintenance of IT solutions related to SONET/DWDM communications. Specifically, provide technical leadership supporting the deployment and provisioning of SONET/DWDM infrastructure throughout the Exelon Subsidiary Companies in accordance with established strategy, architecture and fiber deployment. Act as the primary technical interface with the Utility business and engineering vendors to ensure solution complies with technical standards and architecture. Expected to work under minimal supervision.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Provide technical expertise and/or design engineering support for deployment and provisioning of SONET/DWDM infrastructure aligned with fiber construction. Contribute to project technical architecture design and development including establishing standards where none exists and maintaining on-going configuration and maintenance of installed solution.
- Assist IT Architecture and Engineering community in planning the introduction of new technologies and/or identifying the most appropriate technology choices to accomplish goals based on the Management Model. Ensure appropriate implementation and provisioning of approved standard SONET/DWDM technology and architecture to meet Business requirements.
- Maintain strong relationship working with the Utility business implementing the fiber construction project and on-going maintenance of fiber infrastructure. Interfacing with and managing vendor partners supporting the construction of the SONET/DWDM infrastructure.
- Identify and provide Business and IT data on IT trends and developments. Participate in IT architecture review and standards setting. Lead the development of Design Standards, white papers, conducting presentations as needed to explain why a technology is being recommended by IT.
- Maintain technical knowledge and business acumen within own discipline or function
- Provide performance evaluations, career development feedback, and recognition as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline and typically 5 to 8 years experience in various SONET/DWDM multiplexing provisioning of telecommunication technologies or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Experience working in a substation environment including detailed understanding of specific requirements and standards for SCADA and system protection communications.
- Experience in network management platforms
- Thorough understanding of OSI layers 1, 2 and 3
- Excellent communications skills- Able to effectively communicate highly technical information in non-technical terminology (written a verbal).
- Understanding of change management principles associated with new technology implementations.
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to develop a comprehensive configuration management program for fiber inventory and SONET provisioning.
- Understanding of project management principles
- Technical certification in Alcatel Lucent or GE JMux.
- Understanding of Wave Division Multiplexing technologies
- Experience in Alcatel-Lucent, JungleMux and Channel Bank technologies and provisioning procedures
- Detailed understanding of NERC/CIP security requirements.
Exelon is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and employees or applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
EEO is the Law Poster
Exelon believes in hiring men and women who've served in the military: they exemplify the leadership, teamwork, integrity, and commitment to excellence we need. Exelon attends military recruiting fairs with members of E-MAC (Exelon - Militaries Actively Connected), our employee resource group that supports veteran employees. We advertise in military publications, and partner with Transition Assistance Program (TAP) offices.
To learn more about where your skills in the military can be applied at Exelon, visit our military careers site.
Not ready to apply? Follow Exelon on LinkedIn to stay informed on our jobs and company news.