We are building a culture of collaboration and are seeking an imaginative, skillful, and versatile Technical Art Director to join our team in the San Diego area. If you share a passion for developing groundbreaking worlds and player experiences, then this may be the position you've been waiting for!
The Technical Art Director is the main backbone to the Technical Art Department. This individual will spearhead the development pipeline. Your Mission:
- Coordinate the technical art department, prioritize features, and work with the Art Director, Technical Director, and Design director to achieve common goals across the departments.
- Oversee the day to day tasks of the technical art team including scheduling, tools review, progress meetings, and mentoring others.
- Primary source of communication between the engineering and art creation teams.
- Take requests, prioritize, and delegate work across the technical art department while maintaining a consistent task list and priorities for the team.
- Proactively seek out opportunities to communicate both formally and informally with the team to build relationships, and identify possible pipeline issues.
- Design, develop, document, and improve content pipelines.
- Seek out and fix performance issues including, but not limited to: framerate issues, memory problems, material errors, and collision issues.
- Constantly review the content creation pipeline to identify and fix any possible pipeline or technology deficiencies for the art department.
- Research and develop pipeline and art systems within the game engine and 3rd party content packages.
- Analyze competitive products and makes recommendations to senior management.
- Develop and document content creation guidelines.
- Train the art team on best practices, new tools, and pipeline changes across multiple projects.
- Be a positive and creative force in the team.
- Mentor technical art team.
- Provide team performance evaluations.
- 6 Years of game industry experience.
- Extensive PBR and HDR knowledge.
- Minimum 2-year 2D/3D art, design, or computer science degree, or equivalent experience with excellent critique and vocabulary skills. Bachelors a plus.
- Shipped at least 3 AAA game titles.
- Ability to lead a team of four or more Technical Artists with diverse backgrounds and skillsets.
- Strong working knowledge of multiple 3D Packages (3Ds Max, Maya, Houdini, Photoshop).
- Understanding of Object Oriented Programming.
- Shader development experience.
- Understanding of game rendering pipelines.
- Understanding of modular game development.
- Strong understanding of methods for optimizing game art assets for game engines.
- Up to date knowledge of current art techniques and development processes.
- Strong technical proficiency in understanding proprietary tools and technology.
- Extensive experience with at least one discipline within the art pipeline (lighting, effects, environment, rigging, animation).
- Ability to design, develop and improve content pipelines, with experience developing user applications.
- Strong technical writing and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational, collaboration, and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines.
- Positive attitude and a desire to bring new ideas to the team.
- Competence in C# and C .
- CS degree or Technical Art Degree.
A little about us:
We are lucky to work in a business where imagination, creativity, and play aren't only encouraged, they're required.