Blizzard Entertainment is looking for an experienced programmer to serve as technical director for Overwatch. Members of the Overwatch team are passionate gamers at heart - driven to make the most fun and compelling experiences for our players. We spend our days collaborating and iterating on everything that goes into the game: from placing health packs to dreaming up the craziest play of the game animations. Our goal is to always surprise and delight our players.
We believe in maximum transparency and communication at the team level and with the people who play our game. This philosophy, along with the Blizzard values of "Gameplay First" and "Play Nice, Play Fair," has made Overwatch one of Blizzard's most successful games, and it has forged a bond of trust with our worldwide player community that is extremely important to us.
As technical director, you will drive direction for new technology used in Overwatch, define and drive the technical vision, establish and maintain solid engineering practices for the team, and provide leadership over our programming teams.Responsibilities
- Develop the technology plan and oversee all programming development for the team.
- Work with production staff and other leads to establish engineering tasks and subsequent schedule requirements across multiple disciplines of programming and technology.
- Manage the Overwatch programming teams to meet goals and requirements.
- Review and approve proposed and completed engineering tasks in collaboration with the production staff and other leads.
- Establish coding standards and maintain efficient coding practices.
- Evaluate and mentor programmers.
- Provide critical analysis of technology and development practices with the goal of improving game quality and team efficiency and fostering a positive working environment.
- Serve as an active partner in driving the Blizzard Entertainment's technological vision.
- Perform research to acquire new knowledge necessary to perform assigned tasks and maintain the technological evolution of current and future products.
- Interface with the executives and Overwatch game leads to ensure that all technology interests and policies are properly represented and maintained through the course of development and that future technology is on track and in development.
- Maintain familiarity with Blizzard Entertainment's current game designs as well as with emerging technologies across the game industry in multiple genres.
Required Application Materials
- Technical, managerial, and leadership skills at the lead software engineer, or technical director level
- A minimum of 10 years' experience in games engineering, preferably with multiple AAA shipped and supported titles across PC and console platforms
- Strong ability to partner with leadership from the larger development organization including engineering, production, design, art, QA, and others
- Strong programming skills and a proven aptitude for technical design
- C / C proficiency
- Experience in the design and implementation of game systems, cloud architecture, multi-threading, rendering, UI, game object management, online networking, live game and database management
- Comfort working within an established code framework as well as building technology from the ground up
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Effective communicator at all levels
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, or equivalent degree or experience
- In-depth familiarity with Blizzard products
- Cover Letter which should include:
- Why you are interested in working at Blizzard
- What games you are currently playing
**Only submittals with Cover Letters will be considered.
A little about us:
Blizzard Entertainment is a premier developer/publisher of entertainment software, including World of Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo, and Hearthstone.