At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description:3M is seeking a Technical Support Specialist for 3M's Identity Management business with the position located in Houston, TX. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go. Job Summary
The person hired for the position of Technical Support Specialist will be part of the 3M Cogent Identity Management team providing biometric identification solutions to government agencies, law enforcement and commercial enterprises.
The ideal candidate will be patient and respectful and use their excellent communication skills to listen to end users with no IT background; learn on their own to solve problems, know their limitations, and learn new technologies.
The Technical Support Specialist will solve issues by using their analytical and critical thinking skills and their knowledge of networks, applications, and hardware; leverage their knowledge of Linux/Windows and scripting tools for system administrative purposes; provide daily system support to customers including installation, configuration and troubleshooting of computer software, hardware and network environments; provide all aspects of operations support, preventive maintenance, remedial maintenance; and provide regular status reporting.
The person hired for the position of Technical Support Specialist will primarily provide system level support to key customers in Texas and overseas. This is an ideal role to further develop technical skills in the growing field of biometrics and security systems.
This position is contingent upon 3M Cogent Identity Management Business winning, maintaining, or renewing a contract with client(s). Additional background screening may be required by client(s) prior to start date.Primary Responsibilities
include but are not limited to the following:
- Installation/configuration/troubleshooting/testing of 3M Cogent's proprietary applications
- Resolve customer reported issues and inquiries, by local travel to customers' sites or remotely via secure connectivity to customers' systems from the Pasadena office or their home office.
- Maintain records of daily communications, document problems, configuration information and resolution
- Perform scripting modifications in local databases using Microsoft Access, SQL Server and Oracle database.
- Maintaining customer relations via phone or in person with various customers' users and personnel
- Troubleshooting of Microsoft Windows and Linux operating systems.
- Troubleshooting of network environments.
- Providing technical assistance to other support engineers and customers.
- Read technical manuals, confer with users, or conduct computer diagnostics to investigate and resolve problems or to provide technical assistance and support.
- Develop training materials, documentation, procedures and train users in the proper use of hardware or software.
- Confer with staff, users, and management to establish requirements for new systems or modifications.
- Must be able to provide on-call customer support on a rotating basis
- Candidate must have a valid California driver's license and reliable transportation for periodic service calls to customers sites; and capable of transporting and delivering computer hardware systems to customers' sites.
- Candidates must be able to occasionally move and lift computer equipment.
- Associates Degree/Technical Diploma or higher from an accredited institution
- Minimum of one (1) year of customer facing technical support experience
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience working with Microsoft Windows Operating Systems
- Minimum of one (1) combined year of experience working with Linux and/or Unix Operating Systems
- Degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited university
- Certifications in relevant technical fields are preferred but not required
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and problem solving resourcefulness
- A Self-starter/self-directed professional that leads with high energy and passion
- Effective facilitation, communication and teaching skills
- Ability to understand and apply analytical and statistics tools and approaches to work
- Ability to multitask and handle large workloads under time constraints
- Ability to quickly learn and adapt to new technologies
- Excellent customer support focus
- Ability to be detail oriented and a team player that can also work with little supervision
- Ability to work independently with help from in-house engineers and have good time management skills. Service calls must be responded to promptly, diagnosed quickly, and fixed within a short time frame
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills, other language abilities are a plus
- Ability to understand user problems and the ability to explain technical fixes in a clear and concise manner to users. Technical training will be provided.
- Experience with Windows-based operating systems including troubleshooting and installation
- Experience with TCP/IP network troubleshooting in distributed client/server environments
- Knowledge of LAN/WAN internetworking and protocols
- Experience with Linux installation and administration
- Experience with Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) installation and administration for Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, and MySQL
Location: Houston, TX
Travel: May include up to 25% domestic/international
Relocation Benefits: Are not authorized for this position
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain "non-U.S. persons" (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, "Temporary Residents" (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within 3M that may present access to export controlled technical data, 3M must assess employees' U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).
The questions asked in this application are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position. The decision whether or not to file or pursue an export license application is at 3M Company's sole election.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status)
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
Innovation is a way of life at 3M. We solve problems by applying creativity, team work and ingenuity to improve life for millions of people worldwide.