As a Technical Writer, you'll be responsible for educating a wide variety of audiences about the Oracle Utilities Opower Cloud Services. We are looking for an expert communicator capable of researching complex technical information and creating engaging prose for internal stakeholders, technical staff at utilities, and the utility Customer Services Representatives that are the face of our product for energy consumers. By ensuring that all these audiences have the product resources they need in the format they need it in, you'll be helping to promote our products and make a real difference in helping consumers reduce their energy use. Location: Arlington, VA
As a product expert, you'll be expected to have a complete understanding of how our products work, how they will work, and how they are developed. You'll use this knowledge to help maintain our internal knowledge base in Confluence and create utility-facing deliverables. You'll work closely with Engineers and Product Managers to help craft the release notes and supporting documentation that accompanies each product release. Position Responsibilities
General Position Requirements
- Determine the documentation requirements for new product features and tools.
- Own the release documentation responsible for educating internal and external audiences on Opower's products.
- Design effective outlines or information models that guide the structure of the information you develop.
- Use single-sourcing strategies and tools to deliver the right content to the right audience in the right format.
- Help manage and grow the product knowledge base in Confluence.
- Maintain software user guides for a variety of external audiences.
- Work with vendors to supervise the localization of the documentation.
- User your product expertise to field internal product and documentation questions.
- You can create engaging content in plain English with limited supervision.
- You have contributed to a wiki using Confluence or a similar tool.
- You are familiar with single-sourcing strategies and tools like RoboHelp or Flare.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment. You are capable of managing multiple short- and long-term assignments.
- You can communicate with audiences with diverse technical abilities and learning styles.
- You are familiar with information architecture principles.
- You bring a journalistic ethic to your writing.
- You have produced documentation in Agile, Software-as-a-Service environment (not a requirement, but a significant plus).
- You have the visual design skills to delight your audience. Be prepared to demonstrate this with your resume and samples.
- You have 2 years or more of software documentation experience.
Note: In your application, please provide three to five samples that represent your best work. Each sample should be no more than three pages long. If you would like to provide a longer document to add more context, be sure that you specify which pages you'd like to highlight. The emphasis should be on quality over quantity. Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.Qualifications:
Creates, develops, plans, writes and edits operational, instructional, maintenance, test or user manuals for paper, multimedia or web-based publications. Contributes to the timely design, production and delivery/completion of product documentation and document sets.
As a member of the technical writing division, you will write, review and produce single books or individual chapters, appendices, etc. of product user documentation and/or courseware. Obtain data and information from the appropriate source e.g. technical staff and exercise judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
Duties and tasks are standard with some variation; displays understanding of roles, processes and procedures. Performs moderately complex problem solving with assistance and guidance in understanding and applying company policies and processes. BS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 1 year of software engineering or related experience.Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.
A little about us:
Oracle is shifting the complexity from IT, moving it out of the enterprise by engineering hardware and software to work together—in the cloud.