This position is principally accountable for business case development and market assessing the value of Arconic's technology options and providing leadership with decision making support to shape the technology portfolio to optimize return on Arconic's R&D investment. Areas of responsibility include driving increased emphasis on the business case for technology options, and driving integration of DI (Degrees of Implementation) with business unit projects.
Major Activities / Key Challenges:
- Own and drive business case development and strategy planning for technologies with external commercialization potential including market analysis (e.g. market and competitive research, commercial strategy, IP, target identification) and management of commercialization project plans. Must be capable of effectively collaborating with multiple parties at the Technology Center and within the business organizations, and working on cross-disciplinary teams of commercial, technical, and operations experts at all levels of the organization.
- Provide cost modeling, financial analysis, and sensitivity analysis for select R&D projects site-wide.
- Deliver training, coaching, mentoring and expert support across the Technology organization for how to build a business case, and integrate with Arconic Technology Advantage (ATA) processes and project management approaches.
- Drive consistent use of ATA stage gate guidelines ensuring proper business case assessment at each gate.
- Develop financial models, facilitating and performing quantitative analyses of current and proposed R&D projects. Important tools include: value propositions, market analysis, cost and value models, financial models, and sensitivity analyses.
- Interface with Arconic business units, customers, technical staff and project teams to drive innovative solutions, value and return on R&D investment (ROI)
Essential Knowledge & Skills / Education:
- Understanding of Arconic's major markets (Aerospace and Automotive), products and manufacturing processes, and the role of technology development to improve Arconic's business performance. Ability to learn fundamentals of additional markets, products and manufacturing processes.
- Ability to work with and influence technical, operations, and business experts, individually and in teams, to determine and represent the interaction between technology and Arconic's markets, products, and manufacturing processes.
- Ability to structure and rapidly create cost, financial analysis and business case models to support the sound selection and execution of R&D projects.
- Strong interpersonal skills for building relationships with internal and external customers.
- Influential oral and written communication skills, including demonstrated experience communicating to senior decision makers
- Ability to manage multiple projects / customer demands
- Resiliency and ability to adapt to dynamic, changing environment and priorities
- Ability to work in complex environment and convince stakeholders through influential and non-hierarchical position
- High degree of people skills and the ability to engage with individuals in a variety of functions and levels
- Inquisitive nature, skilled in active listening and effective questioning
- Self-starter with ability to lead and work independently
- Strategic thinker with the ability to translate business needs to targeted R&D projects/programs
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering, Math, Statistics, Chemistry, Physics, Finance or Business Administration from an accredited institution
- Minimum 3 years work experience in R&D or manufacturing
- Employees must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
- This position is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) which requires U.S. person status. ITAR defines U.S. person as an U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- MBA or MS in Product Development
- Minimum 5 years work experience in R&D or manufacturing
- Work experience in commercializing R&D and product development
- Industrial, Manufacturing and/or Application Engineering experience