BP's focal point for digital technology leadership and innovation is the Digital Innovation organization (DIO). The DIO provides fast and efficient application of emerging external digital technology innovation to group business and functions requirements. The DIO is focused on solving business problems outside of traditional IT solutions and leverages its vast ecosystem of external knowledge sources, including start-ups, venture capital firms, IT vendors, major corporations, research organizations, governments, military, academia and consultants. In addition, the DIO increases business awareness of operational and growth opportunities created by new technologies and works to enhance BP's external reputation regarding technology and business practices. The DIO works closely with the business to accelerate the efficient adoption of new technology and to initiate programs to deploy technologies at scale. DIO activities are focused on technologies that support IT&S business strategies, with a bias toward those technologies that have potential application across more than one segment or function. The primary measure of DIO's performance is the business adoption of new digital technologies. Although relatively small in size, the DIO is world class in reach, processes, activities and results; works with the very highest levels of external organizations and operates within the full context of external digital and business innovation as well as BP Group and Segment strategy and tactics. It collaborates closely with other IT&S teams, BP's technology organizations and line businesses. The Technology Principal is responsible for the identification and application of emerging digital technologies for the BP group. The expectations for the impact on BP in terms of economic value are very high due to the increasing importance assigned to digital technologies at the BP ETM level. Virtually all of BP's front-line activities are being digitized and digital technologies have been identified as a major source of BP's productivity and potential for top line improvement. In addition, the range and scope of external digital technology change is increasingly broad in scope and occurring at a faster pace. This position is part of a team which combines innovation, business development and relationship management. It is significantly different from traditional leadership roles in IT&S which focus on a more structured set of activities involving large budgets and headcount and have clear authority. By contrast, this role will lead a number of initiatives working with highly technical people engaged in leading edge activities. A high level of leadership & influence is required along with business acumen to achieve adoption of new technology. The Technology Principal works as part of a well-integrated and supportive team to fulfill DIO's mission and is expected to balance a wide variety of projects and activities across BP businesses and IT&S.Key accountabilities
External Networks: Scans the horizon to identify emerging Digital Technology trends, new products and solutions potentially relevant to business segments and functions; assesses potential vendors & market segments. Internal Networks: Works closely with key business influencers and IT&S senior management to identify key challenges that can be addressed through new technology and seeks to solve problems with the help of DIO's ecosystem. Governance: assists the DIO Investment Governance Board bringing technological solutions in scaling efforts, and requests for IT&S funding. Works with the Technology Director to understand business priorities and direction to develop digital opportunities. Relationships: Develops and nurtures collaborative external relationships at the CEO or executive level with niche vendors, venture capital firms, governments and research agencies as requested by the technology director for long-term collaboration. Strong relationships are a primary means of keeping abreast of key technologies, allowing for the development of novel collaborative commercial arrangements and enhancing BP's reputation for technological and business leadership. Networking: networks across BP to understand business context, direction and challenges. This involves frequent interaction with senior business and functional leadership as well as close collaboration with Technology leadership, recognizing the importance of digital technologies to core technologies and the synergies between core and digital technologies. Organization: As part of a small team of digital technology professionals, acts as a role model and mentor, inspires and motivates the more junior members of the team to a high level of performance. Promotes team working and close collaboration with the business and the traditional IT and technology organizations. Leadership: Shows fluidity, speed, initiative in unstructured contexts. Leadership is largely by example, demonstrating an unwavering demand for high impact on the organization. Leadership capabilities demonstrated in investment banking, venture capital and successful business development organizations serve as better comparators than traditional IT operations and support. Project and Program Development: • Delivers Proof of Concept projects to prove technical viability or potential value to BP, prepares builds business cases and prepares the organisation for further technology adoption. • Accountability for first implementations is responsible for technology introduction through the delivery of business benefits. • Terminates POC's, trials, or other projects if the technology is not ready, it becomes clear that sufficient value will not be realized or priorities changes. Works with IT&S, Business and Partners to facilitate projects that may be centered on related technologies or business problems or adoption at scale for those technologies shown to solve some of BP's significant challenges and hold significant value. Mature judgment on technology viability and business acumen is used to accurately assess the readiness for change.Essential Education
• Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in IT, sciences, mathematics or related equivalent.Essential experience and job requirements
• A minimum of ten years of experience in the IT industry. Experience working with corporate-wide IT applications and IT vendor relationship management. • A minimum of five years of experience in an IT project oversight capacity. • Awareness of emerging technologies and their potential uses. • Experience in identifying leading edge technology, innovations, products, and solutions and in developing potential IT projects from concept through delivery. • Understanding of the petroleum industry and significant experience working in an E&P, R&M, IST, or alternative energy context. Desirable criteria & qualifications. • Core IT or technical seasoning for the assessment of technologies. • Ability to rapidly grasp new concepts, achieve a high level familiarity with new technologies and sense their application; ability to think at the very forefront. • Ability to translate ideas and concepts into business opportunities and successful technology adoptions. • Effective presentation and persuasion skills, ability to conduct effective workshops.Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.Desirable criteria & qualifications
- An established leader in the digital space, with a minimum of ten years of experience in the IT industry.
- Experience working with corporate-wide IT applications and IT vendor relationship management.
- A minimum of five years of experience in an IT project oversight capacity.
- Awareness of emerging digital technologies and their potential uses.
- Experience in identifying leading edge technology, innovations, products, and solutions and in developing potential IT projects from concept through delivery.
- Understanding of the petroleum industry and significant experience working in an E&P, R&M, IST, or alternative energy context.
- Ability to rapidly grasp new concepts, achieve a high level familiarity with new technologies and sense their application; ability to think at the very forefront
- Ability to translate ideas and concepts into business opportunities and successful technology adoptions
Effective presentation and persuasion skills, ability to conduct effective workshops
- Ability to provide technical clarity and business direction to executive management, programs and projects
- Strong entrepreneurial drive and curiosity; persistence in following up opportunities
- Problem solving skills to meet demanding challenges that don't readily lend themselves to traditional IT solutions.
- Project management skills, including anticipation and surmounting of technical, vendor, organizational and other challenges.
- Teamwork skills and willingness to actively help others. Core IT or technical seasoning for the assessment of technologies, including digital innovation in robotics and related technologies
Yes - up to 25%Is this a part time position?
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
BP is one of the three largest energy companies in the world, operating in over 100 countries across 6 continents. Information Technology & Services (IT&S), provides a full range of IT services to BP's global business segments.
IT&S plays a critical role in the delivery of defined world-class operational services that BP businesses can rely upon in support of their own performance. Our specific accountabilities include the delivery of services to specified target levels, including availability, recoverability and cost to the corporation. These services must also be delivered safely and secured against the growing risk of viruses and other security threats.
We aim to benchmark our performance favorably against a defined peer group of the world's best and intend to deliver our services with professionalism to rival any major business corporation in the world - this is what we mean by being 'World Class'. To achieve this exciting level of performance will require a commensurate level of enthusiasm, commitment and expertise in our people.Segment
Corporate & FunctionsClosing Date
[ "13-Dec-2016" ]
One of the world's leading international oil & gas companies, BP employs over 80,000 talented minds in 80 countries, fostering innovation & diversity.