Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
Being number one means WM invests in our Sales teams' success by providing access to state-of-the-art systems and processes, industry-leading services and the best leadership in the business. Our exceptional sales professionals help deliver satisfaction to our clients throughout North America. WM is ranked top 50 companies to sell for by SellingPower.
I. Job Summary
Territory Sales Manager will have a successful background in B2B Service Sales in the Bakersfield/Tehachapi territory. This positions generates revenue growth by utilizing a consultative selling approach in prospective and current Waste Management customers. Responsible for managing existing business relationships in order to achieve budgeted sales goals by developing and implementing sound retention strategies, utilizing strong negotiation efforts to preserve business, and securing contract agreements from previously non-contracted customers. The TM is also responsible for prospecting and closing to achieve budgeted sales goals by developing and implementing sound selling strategies that ensure revenue growth by selling to new customers leveraging Salesforce.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Increase New Business in territory
- Establishes and maintains a high level of customer satisfaction. This includes meeting customer retention goals. Communicates to and works with the Retention Manager to resolve unique customer issues.
- Reduces lost accounts by diffusing cancellation requests. Meets or exceeds sales call activity goals for proactive account retention.
- Increases revenue and profitability by executing sound plans on retention calls to improve the customers' service and/or profitability.
- Effectively manages prospects by developing sound marketing plans and maintaining key information in the prospect database.
- Meets or exceeds sales call activity goals for new sales.
- Matches Waste Management services with customer needs by demonstrating knowledge of customers, pricing and competition; effectively communicates pricing and service strategies; proactively engages other Waste Management business opportunities, referring internally as appropriate.
- Effectively use Waste Management sales productivity software tools (i.e. Prospect and Customer Database, Proposal Program, Pricing Tools, etc.).
- Acquires in-depth industry and company knowledge in order to prepare complex proposals and make recommendations on equipment optimization and leasing options.
- Proposes customer solutions that are compliant with appropriate local, state and federal regulations.
- Updates and secures customer service agreements.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
The highest level of supervisory skills required in this job is the management of supervisory employees. This position has no direct reports.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
Required: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university or 5-years sales experience in lieu of bachelor's degree, plus 3-years in a non-consumer based industrial sales, commercial sales, or service industry environment that includes: successfully converting customer cancellation requests in order to maintain revenue levels, and/or complex negotiations resulting in signed customer contracts. Internal requirements include 2-years proven success in a Level 3 sales position.
Preferred: Bachelor's degree in Sales/Marketing, plus 5-years in a non-consumer based industrial sales, commercial sales, or service industry environment that includes: successfully converting customer cancellation requests in order to maintain revenue.
This is a field-based position. This position is eligible to participate in sales compensation and recognition programs upon successful completion of sales orientation and/or training programs.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
Salesforce or similar CRM tool.
General Competencies Include:
Communicate With Impact
Make Sound Decisions
Know the Business
Influence and Negotiate
Use Ethical Practices
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc) part of the work day ;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds rarely ;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc) rarely ;
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements rarely ;
- Normal setting for this job is: office setting and/or outside sales.
About our Preferred Requirements
- We'd prefer that you have b2b sales experience specifically in a hunter capacity. You'll have accomplishments under your belt, and you should be proud of those - maybe it's winning a sales contest or exceeding goal for 6 months in a row or being Sales Rep of the Year. Whatever it is, we want to hear about it! Also, you'll be able to navigate a CRM tool preferably Salesforce.
About What We Will Offer You
We'll provide you with a competitive salary and incentive plan that will motivate you to sell. While you're going through training, part of your commission will be guaranteed as you ramp up.
You'll receive a top-notch benefits package, including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short and Long Term Disability. You can participate in our Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP), a fantastic company match on 401K (4.5% with NO waiting period), and more! You'll also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days.
About Next Steps
- If this is a match made in heaven, then what are you waiting for?! Apply online right this instant! Make sure to upload your resume and include reasons why you've left past positions in the details of your application. We will review your application and if you're a fit, we will absolutely reach out to you!
Waste Management, Inc. is North America's leading provider of integrated environmental solutions.