Individuals within the Test Engineer role are responsible for verifying and validating whether solutions meet specified requirements. They are involved in all phases of the solutions development lifecycle. They implement quality assurance objectives and processes, monitor and evaluate testing results against the predetermined objectives, and apply recommended actions for improvements. Quality control activities may include performance and solution testing. Individuals also evaluate and recommend test automation tools and determine the suitability of these tools with various development tools. Senior level professionals within this role are responsible for providing technical team leadership. They work closely with IT leaders to develop and implement a quality maturity roadmap and plan testing for each functional area (performance, solution, and automation).
Test Engineers are responsible for defining the test environment used by the organization. They interact with all members of the project team including architects, business analysts, system analysts and project managers. They also work with the development team and/or vendors to successfully integrate testing into each development phase. Other responsibilities include performing the design, development, execution and reporting efforts for projects using a single software testing technology competency (i.e., functional, systems, automation, performance, security, validation, etc.) within one or more software development frameworks. They define and track quality assurance metrics such as defects, defect counts, test results and test status. These professionals communicate testing results and provide recommendations based on issues discovered. They also monitor, evaluate and make recommendations on testing tasks within enterprise-wide processes such as change and release management.
Members of this role need to have an understanding of programming languages, solution development life cycles, testing tools, test automation, and a strong knowledge of quality management. They must be able to understand business requirements, technical specifications and change management documentation in order to develop test plans.
Individuals in this role will work on multiple programs/systems as a technical team member on projects of low-to-moderate complexity within one development environment. PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Qualifications: EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Assists in preparing and submitting testing estimates and project schedules.
- Reviews information with team lead.
- Evaluates testability of business and technical requirements based on business/functional requirement document(s), use cases, user stories and/or solution design documents.
- Participates in requirement/design reviews or sprint/release planning sessions; identifies gaps and probes for detailed explanation of expectations.
- Participates in technical specification review.
- May create or contribute to test plans.
- Translates business and technical requirements into test cases, test scenarios and scripts.
- Develops and/or implements reusable components.
- Assists with the identification, creation, and maintenance of test data.
- Develops interface stubs and simulators, as needed.
- Performs script maintenance and updates due to changes in requirements or implementations.
- Assists with setup and maintenance of test environments for both manual and automated testing.
- Provides assistance to internal and external auditors in compliance reviews.
- Executes test scripts/cases and monitors testing results.
- Assigns severity levels to each test defect discovered during the test cycle.
- Identifies technical and operational problems on installed systems, products, and/or solutions.
- Documents issues in a defect/issue tracking system with appropriate root cause analysis and escalates issues to appropriate issue owners.
- Updates and/or re-executes scripts against software corrections to ensure problems are resolved.
- Documents system functions and response times.
- Informs project stakeholders of execution completion and status results.
- Works with the delivery organization to identify and resolve process problems when desired service outcomes are not being met.
- Supports technical issues and upgrades as needed by various internal departments.
- May identify and recommend automation/performance process efficiencies.
- Produces SDLC-compliant documentation during project release(s)
- Adheres to policies, procedures and standards.
- Monitors and analyzes internal testing process metrics for continuous improvement.
- Participates in individual or group product feasibility studies to evaluate solvency of product(s), defines acceptance criteria, reports findings and participates in implementation decisions.
- Reports testing results to project team.
- Participates in lessons learned sessions.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or other related field or equivalent work experience. Typically requires solution testing experience as a full time associate or intern and/or business experience. Knowledge of Software Testing frameworks. Familiarity with the Solution Development Methodology. Familiar with different types of testing tools and their uses. Understanding of script execution and reporting. MINIMUM SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to use manual and automated testing tools to support and assist the company testing efforts
- Demonstrated experience documenting and executing testing policies and standards
- Strong knowledge of relevant technology, tools and software; SDLC, Desktop services, TFS, HP Test tools, or equivalent testing tools.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and conceptual skills
- Excellent organizational skills; attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize work load and consistently meet deadlines
A little about us:
Where knowledge, reach and partnership shape healthcare delivery.