|This opening is with Alcoa Howmet, a division of Alcoa Power and Propulsion – a world leader in the investment casting of superalloys, aluminum and titanium primarily for jet aircraft and industrial gas turbine markets. For more information on Alcoa, visit us online at www.alcoa.com/. Positions are available in our La Porte Indiana Structural Casting operation|
Work as a team member to production weld and/or weld repair castings, dies, molds, fixtures and miscellaneous equipment per weld procedures and customer specifications.
- Must be able to successfully complete welders' certification tests in nickel, cobalt and iron based alloy groups within (5) months of training. Tests based on successful results in FPI, X-ray and metallography.
- Must be able to successfully complete Welder Trainee Testing Criteria.
- Must pass visual acuity examination required for certified welder position.
- Formalized training in Manual Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) required.
- Experience in routing out casting defects and blending welds preferred.
- Mechanical ability required.
- Proficiency in use of gauges and measuring skills required. Weld wire test slugs for wire certification
- Weld repairs/fixtures for tool room
- Weld heat thermo couples for heat treat
- Weld for maintenance
- Weld fixtures for layout
- Monitor argon purity and repair/build argon backups
- Support of cells as needed
- Preparation of surface area for weld and/or blending as needed
- Complete and maintain paperwork
- Operate hoist system
- Production/Fabrication weld
- Performs other work related duties as assigned
- Employees are expected to work overtime as needed.
- Weld repair / production weld (fabrication weld) castings to "Class A" requirements (FPI and X-Ray acceptance).
- Occasional maintenance and fixture welding on various alloys including aluminum.
- Fabrication of copper backups used to perform welds.
- Operate all aspects of the production AC/DC power source and all components of the weld torch that are used to perform the job.
- Determine weld wire alloy designation and sizes.
- Determine allowable weld sizes and locations.
- Determine correct power source parameters.
- Determine gas settings for welding torch and backups
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employee is required to execute the following:
- Occasional bending, reaching, pushing and pulling when retrieving and moving various items
- Lifting intermittently of various items. Typically, assistance would be provided for weights exceeding 35 pounds
- Position may require more than eight hours daily and more than five days weekly to complete work assignments
- Sitting in chairs (swivel, padded, and adjustable) approximately 75% of the time
- Squatting / crouching when retrieving stored items from lower shelves and file cabinets, making equipment / product inspections, etc
- Standing approximately 25% of the time
- Visual monitoring of computer screens
- Visual viewing of processing equipment, precision measuring instruments, prints, reports, manuals, procedures and an assortment of printed items
- Visual requirements for this position are close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
- Weld helmet and gloves required
- Clean work areas and maintain a clean work environment; perform 5S cleaning activities as required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Duties are performed primarily in manufacturing areas where compliance with applicable safety rules is required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be occasionally required to work near moving mechanical parts, exposed to fumes or airborne particles, welder’s arc, potential of low voltage shock, and moderate heat during the summer months. The noise level is moderate.
Employees must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
This position is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) which requires U.S. person status.
A little about us:
Arconic Inc. (NYSE: ARNC) creates breakthrough products that shape industries. Working in close partnership with our customers, we solve complex engineering challenges to transform the way we fly, drive, build and power. Through the ingenuity of our people and cutting-edge advanced manufacturing, we deliver these products at a quality and efficiency that ensures customer success and shareholder value.