Relocation assistance is provided for this position.
For more than 100 years, Purina has been revolutionizing pet food production, and its ability to enrich the lives of pets everywhere. By 1956, mastering new production techniques, we literally reshaped pet care, introducing Dog Chow® as the first extruded dry food. We’re still at it today, with Tidy Cats®, the lightweight cat litter champion of the world and the leader in our category. Such leadership requires constant innovation and renovation, which is so often rooted in our world-class food production standards.
Our factory in Crete, NE is one of the largest wet pet food manufacturing facilities in the U.S. as a mass producer of over three million cans of wet pet food per day, which include our Alpo®, Purina ONE®, Pro Plan®, Friskies® and Purina Veterinary Diets® brands. With the city of Lincoln just 25 miles from the plant, many of our associates find convenience in larger-city living in Lincoln and embrace the short commute to the quainter city of Crete.
As a Mechanic Technician, you will serve as an assistant to other technicians of the department. You will be responsible for performing preventative maintenance such as the servicing of hydraulic, air and steam systems and perform other repairs as needed. You will work during the 2nd or 3rd shift, but may be requested to work during other shifts as needed.
- Possesses the knowledge of operation of basic hand tools, power tools in general both electrical and pneumatic (power saws, drills, roto hammers, drill press, grinders, abrasive cut off machines), and the ability to keep these tools maintained, clean and in a high state of readiness.
- Assist mechanics, welders, pipe fitters, plumbers, carpenters, electricians, sheet metal workers, mill rites, block layers and bricklayers as needed and have a basic knowledgeable of these trades.
- Make minor repairs on general plant machinery such as fans, blowers, conveyors, belts, mechanical and screw conveyors. May also replace V-belts, chains, sprockets, motor couplings, etc.
- Complete general assignments in both gas and electrical welds with AC-DC stick welders, burn and braze with oxygen-acetylene set up, to a reasonable degree of strength, accuracy and appearance.
- Install and maintains general plant piping of steam, air or hydraulic systems, inclusive of following, understanding and installing systems from piping schematics, blue prints, drawing or sketches, with minimum supervision.
- Maybe required to work as a trainee on higher rated jobs under direction and with the help of higher level mechanics and electricians in order to prepare for future advancement opportunities.
- Performs all job duties in a safe manner, abiding by all Nestle plant specific safety rules and policies.
- Participate in and support the BBS process by performing One Minute Observations every week.
- Actively support participate in all Nestle Purina Programs and Initiatives.
- Have a basic knowledge of Electrical Safe Work Practices and GMP guidelines to ensure a safe and clean work environment.
Perform all other duties as assigned
High School Diploma or GED and 1+ years' maintenance experience in a manufacturing, industrial, technical, or military environment
a 2 year Technical Degree
A little about us:
We aim to make discoveries that better the lives of pets everywhere through the highest-quality production of pet food, snacks and litter. Pets are our passion. Safety is our promise. Progress is our pledge.