Arconic is currently in search of a Transportation Planner
to join our team in Davenport, IA. At Arconic, our goal is to be the best company in the world! Arconic is the world's leading producer and manager of light-weight materials. Arconic serves the aerospace, automotive, packaging, building and construction, commercial transportation, and industrial markets, bringing design, engineering, production, and other capabilities of Arconic's businesses as a single solution to customers.
Since it opened in 1948, Arconic's Davenport, Iowa aluminum facility has been at the forefront of American manufacturing. Nestled on the banks of the Mississippi River in Iowa, the plant employs 2,400 people and is a focal point of the global aluminum industry, with 25 percent of revenues coming from exports. Through continued modernization, including a $500 million investment over the past decade alone, Davenport has maintained its position as the world's premier aerospace and automotive supply plant.
This position provided Transportation services for Davenport Works. This position is accountable for insuring timely delivery of customer metal, and other products, in a safe and cost-effective manner. Transportation is responsible for the movement of goods and parts in and out of Davenport Works. The Transportation Planner position is responsible for creating loads, securing appropriate carriage, and ensuring required documentation is available for shipment of customer orders. All must be done according to SOP's in a safe and cost-effective manner. The position arranges the final transport to the customer and begins the receivable revenue process. This function also has an impact on how Arconic is perceived by our customers even though the position has relatively little direct interface with the customers. To effectively arrange transport, the Transportation Planner must communicate with several internal departments, interface with computer systems and communicate with external transportation resources. Professionalism is essential to effectively make these arrangements. Major Activities and Deliverables: Environmental, health, and safety (EHS): The incumbent recognizes that accident and injury prevention are equal in importance to production, quality, delivery, recovery and cost control. The incumbent accepts the responsibility to work safely and promote safety consciousness among other employees. Safety programs involving Transportation or its suppliers are critical in this job as unsafe loads could affect the motoring public outside of Arconic. Arconic Business Systems (ABS): The incumbent will strive to continually improve business processes using ABS principles. Problem solving is a key tool to eliminate waste and capture opportunities within the Transportation systems. Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO): Non-supervisory jobs: The person in this job is/would be responsible for behaving in accordance with Arconic's People Values and Diversity Policy. EEO policies are adhered to and practiced with interactions with non-Arconic contacts/companies. This position's major responsibility is to build loads cost effectively, tender the load to a carrier and secure the proper documentation in accordance with legal and quality standards. The position requires adherence to Arconic policies and procedures, as well as, Local, State and Federal Regulations and guidelines governing movements of goods. The position therefore requires knowledge of international policies and guidelines.
This position is classified as a salaried exempt position. It will require flexibility in hours at times to meet customer needs. Currently, the planners rotate weekends to cover shipping needs.
Customers: Internal customer include personnel in inside sales, outside sales, quality advisors, Supply Chain Management delivery specialists, IPS supervisors, IPS loaders, IPS schedulers, Lab coordinators, Central Dispatch group in Knoxville, TN and International Transportation in Pittsburgh, PA. Major external contacts include transportation carriers and export order booking agencies.
• Interpersonal Astuteness - This position interacts with many internal and external roles and therefore must maintain professionalism, establish working relationships and resolve conflicts to do the job effectively. The planner is Arconic's representative when conducting business with external companies.
• Communication - The position interacts with a large number of people. Therefore, the position must effectively communicate their needs as well as respond to questions about shipments in a timely and professional manner.
• Team Work/Collaboration - There are multiple planners that arrange shipments and individual workloads may vary from day to day. Therefore, teamwork and collaboration are essential to effectively meet daily shipment needs, balance workload among the planners and develop solutions that work for the entire team.
• Critical Thinking - Problem solving is needed to resolve system issues as well as individual load issues. Problem solving requires critical thinking to resolve issues to root cause and develop long term solutions.
• Forward Thinking - Forward Thinking helps a planner organize shipments for the day and week to meet customer needs in a cost-effective manner.
• Attention to Detail - Errors in paperwork or system input can impact customer satisfaction, proper invoicing and legal compliance. Attention to detail is necessary to prevent errors or incomplete work.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution
- Employees must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
- This position is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) which requires U.S. person status. ITAR defines U.S. person as an U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- Bachelor's degree in Supply Chain Management or Business Management
- Knowledge of Supply Chain Management, Quality and Sales systems
- Transportation industry and function
- EBS/Oracle knowledge
- Strong computer skills and an understanding of information flow within information systems.
- Ability to handle multiple functions and deadlines simultaneously and the associated pressures.
- Ability to understand and apply governmental regulations concerning transport of goods globally.
Arconic Inc. (NYSE: ARNC) creates breakthrough products that shape industries. Working in close partnership with our customers, we solve complex engineering challenges to transform the way we fly, drive, build and power. Through the ingenuity of our people and cutting-edge advanced manufacturing, we deliver these products at a quality and efficiency that ensures customer success and shareholder value.