The Hartford is searching for Group Benefits Underwriters! Our underwriter's partner with various teams at The Hartford including our Sales, Account Management and Actuarial organization to strategize, price, evaluate and underwrite cases for our core products including Short-Term Disability, Long Term Disability and Group Life. WHAT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION?
- Within company guidelines, price, appraise/evaluate risk, and underwrites cases for our core lines including Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, and Group Life
- Analyze and review Underwriting guidelines and product offerings to determine appropriate plan designs.
- Through Requests for Proposals (RFP) interpretation and system automation, generate proposal/plan design and quotes for cases
- If applicable, with guidance, profitably underwrites business through brokers and Third Party Administrators (TPAs) by reviewing and analyzing the information on each risk.
- Works independently but seeks guidance on more complex cases/applications.
- May answer questions, provide/verify information, price plan changes, rates, services, evaluate morbidity/mortality risks by coverage, etc.
- Actively contributes to staff projects, assists other underwriters as needed.
- May provide technical backup at sales presentations to clients/brokers.
- Recognizes problems, issues and improvement possibilities. Ability to summarize information and make recommendations.
- Partner with assigned sales offices to meet new premium sales goal.
- Training starts July 2018.
- Students expecting to graduate in May 2018 with a Bachelor's degree in desired majors including Risk Management & Insurance, Business, Economics, Finance, Accounting and Math or associated work experience through an intern program
- Demonstrated leadership potential through classroom and extracurricular activities
- Strong communication, presentation, interpersonal, analytical and research skills
- Ability to work effectively, collaborate, and influence at a peer level within a team setting
- Ability to decipher and execute within fluid and changing business situations
- Demonstrated high integrity, ability to follow through on commitments, and understanding of how to build relationships & trust among diverse groups.
- Knowledge of insurance business, organization and products desired
- Knowledge of Group Benefits (GB) products/benefits and language desired but not required.
The Hartford does not provide sponsorship for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression
A little about us:
HIRING VETERANS IS A PRIORITY FOR THE HARTFORD