Interested in a career in Underwriting? The Hartford offers a great opportunity to those currently pursuing their Bachelor's degree. WHAT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION?
The Commercial Underwriting internship program is designed to prepare college students for the commercial insurance market. Expectations:
What's in it for you?
- Achieve standards established for success in the program by completing daily assignments; plan and prioritize work activities to achieve desired results within necessary time frames.
- Actively participate by asking questions, volunteering answers, and assisting teammates as appropriate.
- Participate fully with the other interns on any group/team activities, as assigned by the manager.
- Effectively use on-line resources, automation tools, and computer software packages.
- Continuously develop and strengthen the skills required for success in the underwriting position.
- Assigned to a challenging work experience to develop analytical, technical and leadership skills and build industry knowledge
- Attend weekly business meetings and personal development workshops as well as meet regularly meet with your manager and peer mentor
- Successful interns are offered full-time employment into the Small Commercial Underwriting trainee program
- Students expecting to graduate in December 2018 / May 2019 with a Bachelor's degree in Risk Management and Insurance, Business Administration, Finance and Accounting, Economics, Marketing, or Liberal Arts with minimum GPA of 3.2 is preferred.
- Must have a record of high achievement, analytical thinking, self-motivation, relationship building and a solid work ethic
- Strong communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Ability to analyze and reason through complex problems and make sound recommendations in a fast-paced environment
- High energy self-starter, good decision maker with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Solid time management skills.
- Computer savvy- experience with MS office suite.
- Competitive nature and strong desire to win
Behaviors at the Hartford
WHY JOIN THE HARTFORD?
- Deliver Outcomes - Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers.
- Operate as a Team Player - Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford.
- Build Strong Partnerships - Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others.
- Strive for Excellence - Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve.
With more than 200 years of expertise, The Hartford (NYSE: HIG) is a leader in property and casualty insurance, group benefits and mutual funds. The company offers a full complement of business insurance coverage's, auto and home insurance, employee benefits and a family of mutual funds to help its customers prepare for the unexpected, protect what is most important to them, and prevail in the event the unexpected happens. Headquartered in Hartford, Conn., the company has approximately 20,000 employees located throughout the country. The Hartford reported 2012 revenues of $26.4 billion.
Throughout its history, the company has delivered on its promises to agents, brokers and customers, insuring some of the nation's most historic construction projects, such as the Golden Gate Bridge and the Hoover Dam. The Hartford has also paid claims related to some of America's largest disasters, including the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, the San Francisco Earthquake of 1906, the September 11 terrorist attacks, and more recently, Hurricane Katrina and Storm Sandy.
The Hartford's biggest competitive advantage is its employees. We hire a broad range of talented teammates from diverse backgrounds and cultures. We look for teammates who share our vision to be an exceptional company celebrated for financial performance, character, and customer value.
The Hartford is widely recognized for its service excellence, sustainability practices, and trust and integrity. The company has been recognized by:
- World's Most Ethical Companies, Ethisphere Institute (2008-2012, 2014-2016)
- Climate Leadership Award, U.S. EPA, (2014-2015)
- Fortune 500: No. 160, Fortune (2015)
- Barron's 500: No. 356, Barron's (2015)
- Human Rights Campaign as a 2016 Best Place to work for LGBT Equality
- Carbon Performance Leadership Index, Carbon Disclosure Project (2008-2015)
- Member Dow Jones Sustainability Indices as a leader in corporate sustainability
- Military Friendly Employer (2010-2015)
- Military Times Edge as a "Best for Vets" Employer (2010-2015)
Visit our website to learn more about The Hartford's recognition. More information about the company and its product offerings is available at www.thehartford.com .
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU TELL ME?
- Join us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheHartford .
- Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/TheHartford .
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age
The Hartford does not provide sponsorship for this position.