Responsible for the secretarial functions in the appropriate department. Interacts with patients, visitors, physicians and their office staff, and other hospital personnel in a professional manner. Enters patient orders electronically. Keeps patient information confidential. Exercises professional judgment in performance of services and maintains demeanor complementary of medical ethics
Participates in providing patient specific care standards as directed, and follows service excellence standards to ensure high levels of patient satisfaction. ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Qualifications: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Performs general secretarial duties.
- Performs clerical functions in compliance with hospital policies and procedures.
- Responsible for courteous, accurate and timely communication of information.
- Take messages accurately and relays them immediately
- Responsible for supervision of nursing unit's physical needs.
- Transcribe orders.
- Answer telephone in a courteous and professional manner stating name, title and unit.
- Responsible for ordering supplies on a regular schedule.
- Responsible for maintaining chart organization.
- Responsible for keeping files/forms in orderly, organized fashion.
- Obtain equipment such as beds, pumps, etc as needed by nurses.
- Attend to tube station by sending and distributing medications, paperwork, etc.
- Monitor refrigerator temperature daily as required.
- Print off discharge patient instructions as needed.
- Prepare charts for new patients; and organize charts for discharged patients.
- Discharge patients immediately from computer upon patient leaving the unit.
- Notify housekeeping of rooms to be cleaned promptly after patient discharge.
- Handles patient orders and information appropriately
- Enters all physician orders including medication orders.
- Place ePOM Session Sheets on chart immediately,
- Notifies nurse of new electronic patient orders.
- Notifies departments of special orders.
- Acts as a resource person for staff and physicians regarding input of orders.
- Enters information into Meditech accurately.
- Responsible for maintaining and monitoring infant security system including, but not limited to admissions, discharges, cleaning tags, and ensuring all descriptions and data are accurate at all times.
- Address all infant security alarms in compliance with hospital policies and procedures.
- Provides assistance, guidance, and direction to patients, visitors, nurses and physicians in a professional manner.
- Interacts with family members as needed, in a customer-friendly atmosphere.
- Answer call lights and refers to licensed nurse, as needed.
- Instructs transporters to sign patients in and out of transportation log.
- Assist with sending specimens to lab as needed.
- Performs other duties in the Department as required.
- Attends in-service presentations, initial and annual Code of Conduct training; completes mandatory education, including but not limited to, infection control, patient safety, quality improvements, MSDS and OSHA standards.
- Employee's conduct must reflect the Company's values and a commitment to the Code of Conduct ethics and compliance program.
- Employee reflects SDH Service Excellence standards in every interaction.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required: Must be able to use computer system for typing as needed. Must have excellent communication skills. Must be customer oriented to provide outstanding services to patients, physicians, visitors and co-workers.
- Communication - communicates clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing
- Customer orientation - establishes and maintains long-term customer relationships, building trust and respect by constantly meeting and exceeding expectations
- Interpersonal skills - able to work effectively with other employees, patients and external parties
- PC skills - demonstrates proficiency in PC applications as required
- Policies & Procedures - demonstrates knowledge and understanding of organizational policies, procedures and systems
- Basic skills - able to perform basic mathematical calculations, balance and reconcile figures, punctuate properly, spell correctly and transcribe accurately
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of hospital computer system.
Must be able to demonstrate understanding of national patient safety initiatives by strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures as required by both HCA and St. David's North Austin Medical Center.
Preferred: Previous experience in applicable field; ability to read, write and comprehend medical terminology. Good grammar, spelling and math skill to perform related clerical and secretarial duties. Ability to interact with others in a diplomatic and courteous manner on the telephone and in person. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Required: High school diploma or equivalent OR proof of enrollment in or graduate of accredited university.
Preferred: Computer skills. Previous clerical experience in the hospital field and knowledge of medical terminology. LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom