The UNIX Engineer is a subject matter expert, and will drive PepsiCo's detailed design of UNIX (Linux, AIX and HPUX) technical solutions and services. This will include evolving UNIX standards and design to accommodate PepsiCo's various IT & business strategies. Accountabilities:
- Develops and builds UNIX (Linux, AIX and HPUX) technical solutions
- Partners with enterprise architecture, procurement, finance, and asset management to develop plans to materialize new UNIX technology strategies
- Serves as the UNIX solution engineer in the analysis, design and planning phases of infrastructure related projects
- Manages systems and infrastructure projects (e.g., design, evaluation, certification, deployment, troubleshooting)
- Participates in technical reviews and design solutions for request for information (RFI), request for proposal (RFP) and proof of concept requests
- Ensures that the individual infrastructure solutions align with the overall enterprise architecture goals
- Partners with operations to review reoccurring problems where re-engineering is required. As required, participates in critical incidents
- Provides guidance to peers, leadership and customers on UNIX engineering solutions as related to the IT enterprise architecture and business strategies in order to develop a broad base of understanding for tactical and strategic solutions among team members
- Ensures operational stability and ongoing engineering of UNIX solutions in support of the infrastructure.
- Ensures service level agreements (SLAs) are met by engineering UNIX solutions that can support these SLAs
- Participates in procurement process (e.g., evaluates alternatives, develops justifications, negotiates with vendors)
- Bachelor's degree or 3rd Level required
Skills and Capabilities:
- Minimum of 8 years of related IT business work experience
- Proven record of UNIX technologies
- Multi-cultural/ virtual team experience preferred.
- Significant experience in deploying large, complex solutions at Fortune 100 class companies
- An in-depth understanding of UNIX Technologies - Linux, AIX, HPUX, x86 hardware, Power hardware, HPE itanium hardware, high availability clustering and server virtualization.
- An in-depth understanding of UNIX disaster recovery solutions and methodologies
- An understanding of related and supporting technologies - Storage, Backup & Recovery and networking
- Solves highly complex problems within their work team
- Solid technical aptitude, leadership, mentoring, and customer facing skills
- Stays up-to-date with technology and industry trends for UNIX technologies by proactively participating in training, self-study, conferences, webcasts, user group participation, reading or other relevant means
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to influence and drive outcomes
Not Eligible for Relocation
A little about us:
Our nation’s veterans bring unbeatable life experience, job skills and leadership to PepsiCo. Together We Win.